Which Gainclone ? Which PSU ? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th June 2003, 05:19 AM   #11
elizard is offline elizard  Canada
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to elizard
i didn't have a NAD amp, but I did hear a NAD320BEE .. which i LOVED

i just finished building the GC few days ago, and i like it more than my old receiver (sony) and what i heard of the nad320bee
the gainclone is a lot clearer, crisper and more detailed

just opinion though, just my opinion
Old 9th June 2003, 09:41 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Default NADS!

Last year I tried a NAD 3225PE - the PCB silkscreen has "3020/3225PE" marked on it because it's a 3020 with extra optional bits installed that boost the supply rails during transients. (Not Class G)

I was shocked at how it sounded. A dull, flat and undetailed sound with flabby bass. Being positive, you could say that it was "polite" - it was quite pleasant for quiet backround musak

Given the rave reviews, this was a bit of a surprise. Does anyone know how the 3020/3225PE compares with the newer NADs? As far as I can tell, they are using a similar circuit, but with newer components?

This was compared to the Musical Fidelity A1 that I was using at the time. Given that my GainGlone is a step up from that, I reckon you'll have no problem hearing the improvment

Cheers,

Mark
Old 9th June 2003, 10:46 AM   #13
Banned

Thumbs up Just do it, JOE!

Quote:
Originally posted by JOE DIRT®
Prof..its hard to beleive that it sounds better than your NAD amp...no disrespect intended....but I`ve had a PE2120 and it is very spacial with just a small pair of 2 way Klipchs on it.....I`m building a chip amp based on the LM3886 chip...hope I get the same results

Cheers!!The DIRT®
It seams there are many NAD users around here.
I have an old NAD Monitor Series 7000 receiver (for those who remember the Monitor Series, from around 1990).
My NAD is heavily tweaked and sounds much better than in original form.
I love it's sound.
But when I made my GC I was astonished.
Let's just say the Nad goes to the basement.
Old 9th June 2003, 02:52 PM   #14
mothman is offline mothman  United States
diyAudio Member

I've owned a full complement of high end amps.Starting with several NAD's up through
Classe,McCormack,Audio Research, YBA,Krell and some very fine pre-amps also.
I can verify with confidence that the 50 watt LM3886 passive integrated amp I've built is just as satisfying to me as any of the above.
No doubt the pride of DIY has something do do with it but believe me it it didn't perform very well I'd drop it in a heartbeat!
Old 9th June 2003, 03:09 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

thanks for the inspiration Guys to build this amp.....it sounds like its going to be a worth while project

Mothman you mentioned you built an Amp using the LM 3886.....are there any tips you can give me....I`m basically going to copy the circuit on the data sheet but if you modified I`d like to hear what you did>???

Cheers!!The DIRT®
Old 9th June 2003, 03:24 PM   #16
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by JOE DIRT®
thanks for the inspiration Guys to build this amp.....it sounds like its going to be a worth while project

Mothman you mentioned you built an Amp using the LM 3886.....are there any tips you can give me....I`m basically going to copy the circuit on the data sheet but if you modified I`d like to hear what you did>???

Cheers!!The DIRT®

Joe, don't do it like the circuit on the datasheet.
Go for the inverted configuration.
Do it as the Thorsten GC.
Old 9th June 2003, 06:36 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

if you get samples directly from National Instruments and only pay shipping, who do you contact at NI to get this?

tim s
Old 9th June 2003, 06:52 PM   #18
jleaman is offline jleaman  Belgium
Banned

Send a message via AIM to jleaman
I want to know too i want some samples too.! i have been asking every where but no one tells me. : O (
Old 9th June 2003, 07:06 PM   #19
mothman is offline mothman  United States
diyAudio Member

Hey Joe,

There's an excellent full LM3886 schematic on Amp Chip Diy that a guy posted under the topic 'Please Clarify Ground Connections'it's still on the first page.
My amp is basically the same though I didn't use any of the snubbers or supply bypass caps.
Mine is a one box with 300va 18-0-18 with separate +/- supply rails that I paralell to each chip.
I'm using 3x 2200 BG fk's per side as I experimented with the usual 2x1000 and like the stiffer supply with the 4 ohm speakers I use.
I also use a 470uf bypass per supply at each chip for high frequency stability.I believe the data sheets speak to this.
Bacically the amp runs very cool with no signs of instability and vertually zero DC offset.
Old 9th June 2003, 07:11 PM   #20
cm961 is offline cm961  Canada
diyAudio Member

Hey guys,

The more I read about gainclones (and there's A LOT to be read) the more I get excited about building some. I've been so busy lately I haven't had much time but now that I have new subs in my car I need to upgrade the amp(s) to something of decent quality. Much like everyone else, the SMPS is slowing me down though. Thanks for the gainclone tips.

Pete

Hide this!Advertise here!