OPA541 blown? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd June 2003, 07:18 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Unhappy OPA541 blown?

i made the bridged and parrelleled circuit last night (at last ) and powered it up with +/-5v, as +/-4v is the lowest the chip will work with, and didnt want to damage anything if i had made a mistke.

powered it up, my 1A power supply overloaded (light came on), so i switched it off, re-checked every connection, all fine. re-power it up, still overload, shut it off again.

leaft the room, and had a cup of coffee. came back in, checked pin layout and circuit diagram of OPA541 and DRV134 (or is it DVR?), anyway, i noticed that i had missed the 'top view' on the OPA541 pinout. so i had connected the +v and -v connections backwards, and, less important, the + and - input backwards. doh!

desoldered all components, and started again. double checked all components, and again powered it up with +/-5v, nothing, no load, no output. i touched the input, no output (on my working gainclone i get buzz if i touch the input pin).

checked the speaker, i had blown it the first time , got a new speaker, conected it, powered it up again, still nothing. i disconceted power and the speaker and check voltages at the output, now +5v on both outputs.

very iritating, could the chips be blown? with +/-5v? i may have accidentally turned the power supply up to +/-15v as when i came to power it up the second time, it was set to this.

thanks for any help, below i have posted a picture of my layout, sorry, it is very quick and messy, i am not on my own computer so i do not have images here.

oops, forgot, view is from below of chip,as i have them mounted on a heatsink and all i can see is the leads.
Attached Images
File Type: gif matthew 1 (diyaudio).gif (5.3 KB, 362 views)
Old 3rd June 2003, 08:42 PM   #2
Synapse is offline Synapse  Canada
diyAudio Member

From my experience the chip is fried.. I too missed the darn "top view" resulting in a dead chip pricy mistake...
Old 4th June 2003, 08:38 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

is there any other response? is there any way i can check the chips? or should i just order some more?
Old 4th June 2003, 09:55 AM   #4
protos is offline protos  Greece
diyAudio Member

I find that they are quite sensitive to ps mistakes and not only despite all those protection circuits.I must have burned 2-3 OPA 549 mainly from simple mistakes like yours.The other day I was just switching my pre on and off with a low vol and even though there was no thumps on the speakers I managed to burn another opa.Beats me why.Just change them , wire them up correctly and all will be well.No use trying to "pick up the pieces" here.
Old 4th June 2003, 10:28 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Default Re: OPA541 blown?

Hi!
Quote:
Originally posted by Matttcattt
i touched the input, no output (on my working gainclone i get buzz if i touch the input pin).
Just btw.: Never touch the input pin (at least with no load connected). It will result in instant oscillations (which may be unhearable). And if you do not have a Zobel connected to output, you can damage the amp permanently (if you have a Zobel, the Zobel resistor will get very hot, probably melt).

I speak of experience, at least with P3A, and R. Elliot confirmed that this is the case with every amplifier which has no decent protection circuitry (and I find all internal protection circuits in ICAmps somewhat lacking, none has really protected me from faults, so far...)

So, be careful...

Bye,

Arndt
Old 4th June 2003, 08:18 PM   #6
Synapse is offline Synapse  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Matttcattt
is there any other response? is there any way i can check the chips? or should i just order some more?

what more is there to say... hmmm... next time read carefully... and don't waste samples...
Old 4th June 2003, 08:34 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: OPA541 blown?

Quote:
Originally posted by Cradle22
Hi!

Just btw.: Never touch the input pin (at least with no load connected). It will result in instant oscillations (which may be unhearable). And if you do not have a Zobel connected to output, you can damage the amp permanently (if you have a Zobel, the Zobel resistor will get very hot, probably melt).

I speak of experience, at least with P3A, and R. Elliot confirmed that this is the case with every amplifier which has no decent protection circuitry (and I find all internal protection circuits in ICAmps somewhat lacking, none has really protected me from faults, so far...)

So, be careful...

Bye,

Arndt

i have no zobel and havemt heard any damage by touching the input, ill stop doing it anyway.

back to soldering, luckily i have 4 more chips to have another try, as i was going to make 2 channels. ill order more for the second and maybe some extra incase i blow these

Hide this!Advertise here!