OPA541 blown?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
i made the bridged and parrelleled circuit last night (at last :)) and powered it up with +/-5v, as +/-4v is the lowest the chip will work with, and didnt want to damage anything if i had made a mistke.

powered it up, my 1A power supply overloaded (light came on), so i switched it off, re-checked every connection, all fine. re-power it up, still overload, shut it off again.

leaft the room, and had a cup of coffee. came back in, checked pin layout and circuit diagram of OPA541 and DRV134 (or is it DVR?), anyway, i noticed that i had missed the 'top view' on the OPA541 pinout. so i had connected the +v and -v connections backwards, and, less important, the + and - input backwards. doh! :dead:

desoldered all components, and started again. double checked all components, and again powered it up with +/-5v, nothing, no load, no output. i touched the input, no output (on my working gainclone i get buzz if i touch the input pin).

checked the speaker, i had blown it the first time :(, got a new speaker, conected it, powered it up again, still nothing. i disconceted power and the speaker and check voltages at the output, now +5v on both outputs. :dodgy:

very iritating, could the chips be blown? with +/-5v? i may have accidentally turned the power supply up to +/-15v as when i came to power it up the second time, it was set to this.

thanks for any help, below i have posted a picture of my layout, sorry, it is very quick and messy, i am not on my own computer so i do not have images here.

oops, forgot, view is from below of chip,as i have them mounted on a heatsink and all i can see is the leads.

Attachments

• matthew 1 (diyaudio).gif
    matthew 1 (diyaudio).gif
    5.3 KB · Views: 404
I find that they are quite sensitive to ps mistakes and not only despite all those protection circuits.I must have burned 2-3 OPA 549 mainly from simple mistakes like yours.The other day I was just switching my pre on and off with a low vol and even though there was no thumps on the speakers I managed to burn another opa.Beats me why.Just change them , wire them up correctly and all will be well.No use trying to "pick up the pieces" here.

Hi!
Matttcattt said:
i touched the input, no output (on my working gainclone i get buzz if i touch the input pin).

Just btw.: Never touch the input pin (at least with no load connected). It will result in instant oscillations (which may be unhearable). And if you do not have a Zobel connected to output, you can damage the amp permanently (if you have a Zobel, the Zobel resistor will get very hot, probably melt).

I speak of experience, at least with P3A, and R. Elliot confirmed that this is the case with every amplifier which has no decent protection circuitry (and I find all internal protection circuits in ICAmps somewhat lacking, none has really protected me from faults, so far...)

So, be careful...

Bye,

Arndt

Re: Re: OPA541 blown?

Cradle22 said:
Hi!

Just btw.: Never touch the input pin (at least with no load connected). It will result in instant oscillations (which may be unhearable). And if you do not have a Zobel connected to output, you can damage the amp permanently (if you have a Zobel, the Zobel resistor will get very hot, probably melt).

I speak of experience, at least with P3A, and R. Elliot confirmed that this is the case with every amplifier which has no decent protection circuitry (and I find all internal protection circuits in ICAmps somewhat lacking, none has really protected me from faults, so far...)

So, be careful...

Bye,

Arndt

i have no zobel and havemt heard any damage by touching the input, ill stop doing it anyway. :rolleyes:

back to soldering, luckily i have 4 more chips to have another try, as i was going to make 2 channels. ill order more for the second and maybe some extra incase i blow these :(

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.