How to get rid of hum? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd June 2003, 07:54 PM   #11
JCoffey is offline JCoffey  United States
diyAudio Member

Oh I definately want to get it working like it should. The sound is really good, I love the fact that it has a pair of inputs, and that it has a built in pre amp, headphone jack, and sub out, makes it even better. I wish I knew more about electronics than I do, cause if I did, I'd rebuild it with only the parts I wanted, and leave off the crap.Still, not a bad amp for only $100
Old 3rd June 2003, 08:03 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Oh I definately want to get it working like it should. The sound is really good, I love the fact that it has a pair of inputs, and that it has a built in pre amp, headphone jack, and sub out, makes it even better. I wish I knew more about electronics than I do, cause if I did, I'd rebuild it with only the parts I wanted, and leave off the crap.Still, not a bad amp for only $100
Old 4th June 2003, 01:13 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Sorry about the double post. Not sure what happened. Well, I checked the input board, and all the solders look fine. I need to get a jewelers screwdriver to get the heatsink off, and I'll check out the rest of the board. I was wondering though, I've been dealing with car audio for a few years now, and one of the biggest forms of noise is signal wires being too close to power wires. Could that be casuing the problem?
Old 4th June 2003, 02:53 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Hi!

The amplifier section should be OK sounding, but the Pre-Amp could be crappy...
Take a look at the ICs in the pre amp, what OPs are used?

Maybe substitute them for better ones...
Maybe bypass the equalizer...

Budget hifi often uses crappy OP amps for preamp, and cheap euqalizers do not enhance the sound like they should, they rather make it worse...
Old 4th June 2003, 03:17 PM   #15
karma is offline karma  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default hum

allso if you get a chance try making the sheilded wires going to
rca's longer and moving them away from the transformer they look a little close. one thing i would do is just find somthing to sheild the transformer. try a small pot from the kitchen. sounds weird but it worked for me in the past

o and some better brand of caps helps to

what's the brand name of the amp?
Old 4th June 2003, 04:28 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

well, after some research, All I could come up with is that the company is (was) called Micro Multimedia Labs. The Model of course is the TC-1490. It actually one PC Magazines #1 for multimedia packages, when it was purchased as a set with a matching powered sub, and two bookshelf speakers.
I was able to track down a number but the company doesnt apear to still be in business.
I agree that the Pre-amp could be cuasing the problem. There's just too much junk there. and I'll also try to make the cables longer. Any suggestions as to what brand of high quality wiring should be used? (without breaking the bank of course)
Old 4th June 2003, 04:59 PM   #17
karma is offline karma  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default hum

leave the sheilded cables for last. try replaceing all 4 caps first one may be dried out or bad. if it was me i would just pull it apart and make a gainclone out of it

but thats me
Old 4th June 2003, 05:17 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

LOL, Ya, I've thought about that. If i had more know-how, I would. But, since this is going to be for a high end computer system, the layout is fine, and it will support a 20" monitor. (although it will sit on the top of my desk.) What I would like to do, though is rebuild it as much as my knowlage will let me, swapping out caps, wires, ics, binding and RCA posts, etc. Then my plans are to paint the chassis black, and make an aluminum faceplate, and replace the power, and level LEDs with blue ones.
Old 5th June 2003, 01:12 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Just thought about somethnig last night. I have quite a bit of Cat5 cable laying around. How good is Cat5 for hookup wire? Or should I just bite the bullet and by Cardas?
Old 5th June 2003, 02:17 PM   #20
Vivek is offline Vivek  India
diyAudio Member

The STK chip amp I built used to hum a lot. I just ran a wire from the power supply ground to the earth socket in the wall outlet. The hum was completely gone.

Hide this!Advertise here!