diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Chip Amps (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/chip-amps/)
-   -   Beginner's Gainclone guide (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/chip-amps/15948-beginners-gainclone-guide.html)

Nuuk 2nd June 2003 05:46 PM

Beginner's Gainclone guide

I have now included a beginner's guide to building a Gainclone.

You can find it on this page of the Decibel Dungeon site.

If anyone spots any glaring errors, please point them out to help the newbies.

JOE DIRT® 2nd June 2003 06:01 PM

Great Job Nuuk on the site...its refreshing to see someone taking hours of their personal time to help others starting out

Thumbs up!!DIRT®

Nuuk 2nd June 2003 07:44 PM

Quote:

Great Job Nuuk on the site...its refreshing to see someone taking hours of their personal time to help others starting out
Thanks Joe, I can still remember the frustration of starting out and always seeming to have those 'blanks' that I couldn't fill in without a lot of pestering of other people for the information. And do I do believe that you get out of life what you put in!

elizard 2nd June 2003 09:06 PM

awesome job on the site man!!! :)

from a thankful newbie .. THANK you :)

Illusus 2nd June 2003 10:12 PM

Great job. Thank you.
I have so much work to do now :smash:
I am planning on building five stereo gainclones , active crossovers ( 4th order l-r, I thought about a 100db step but i'm trying to budget), speakers and finish my new turntable. At least I have everything designed on paper. Oh yeah, i have to fit my wife and day job in there also. Damn ambition!

carlosfm 3rd June 2003 12:47 PM

Nice job!

Hey Nuuk,

Excellent job you made there.
Fantastic!
So good I was only able to see a typing error:
"(Please not that this figure is correct where a full rectifier bridge is used). "
You mean "note".

This is what I found, because everything is impressively simple, clear and correct.
Keep the good work, this is what I call public service.:nod:

vic2 3rd June 2003 02:49 PM

Nice, very nice. Hat's off to you for taking the time to creating a reference page for gainclone builders.:nod:

Vic

Nuuk 3rd June 2003 03:36 PM

Quote:

So good I was only able to see a typing error:
Hey Carlos - thank goodness you only saw that one ;) I found quite a few with the spell-checker this morning and will put up a corrected version later on.

Funny thing is, it doesn't matter how many times I read through something I have written, I always manage to miss the mistakes! :nod:

Nuuk 3rd June 2003 04:02 PM

Holy red faces :ashamed: it has been pointed out to me (on the chipamp forum) that I have got the polarity wrong for the decoupling cap attached to pin 4 (-ve supply).

Thanks goodness, you peeps are checking that FAQ page!

moamps 3rd June 2003 05:47 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Hi, Nuuk

Your site is very informative, I'd only suggest more pics. However, I think I've found an error in the article "How do I wire up the transformer?".

"With dual secondaries (4 wires), two wires will supply the secondary voltage and two wires will supply the zero voltage. You will need to know which wire is which and this information should be supplied with the transformer. The two zero volt wires are joined together and connected to the zero volt rail. The other two wires are connected to the rectifier bridge."

I think the last two sentences should be:

"One secondary wire and one 0 wire are joined together and connected to the zero volt rail. The other secondary wire is connected to one bridge AC input and the other 0 wire is connected to the other bridge AC input."

Regards