Gainclone supply voltage - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd June 2003, 04:12 PM   #1
Nuuk is offline Nuuk  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Gainclone supply voltage

I have now listened to my Gainclone monoblocks with both a +/-37VDC supply and +/-27VDC.

There is a very slight difference in tonal quality but not really enough for me to express a preference for one or the other. If I were forced to take one though, I would just opt for the lower supply!

I know that Peter Daniel prefers the lower voltage option but has anyone else tried different supplies and found a big difference in the sound?
Old 3rd June 2003, 12:55 PM   #2
Banned

Hi Nuuk,
I haven't tried other voltages, I use a 24v transformer on mine.
But what I can tell from looking at the datasheet is that if you whant your Gainclone to be stable with both 8 and 4 ohm speakers you have to pick a transformer between 20 and 24 volts, and no more.
I think the ideal would be a 22 volts transformer, to get a final voltage of around 30-31 volts.
It's a good compromise.
Old 3rd June 2003, 03:32 PM   #3
Nuuk is offline Nuuk  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
But what I can tell from looking at the datasheet is that if you whant your Gainclone to be stable with both 8 and 4 ohm speakers you have to pick a transformer between 20 and 24 volts, and no more.
Hi Carlos, that tallies with what somebody else told me about driving 4 ohm speakers.

I think what has happened is that so many of us have built Gainclones as an experiment, using what ever transformers we can find in the neighbour's dustbin that all sorts of voltages have been seen in these threads.

It may be a good idea to revise my transformer recommendations on the GaincloneFAQ page.
Old 10th June 2003, 08:24 PM   #4
mothman is offline mothman  United States
diyAudio Member

I'm driving 4 ohm speakers with my LM3886 amp and had been using a 2x25 volt trafo that gave me a 2x37 volt supply.
I had always felt this was on the high side based on the data sheets and just put a 2x18 trafo in(2x28) supply and I like it much better.
I can get into the volume more without the sound getting hard.
Also could one of you more learned chaps comment on the 'less voltage for 4 ohm load issue'is it a function of the amp being required to deliver more current and the supply rails maxing out or what?
Old 11th June 2003, 10:59 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mothman
Also could one of you more learned chaps comment on the 'less voltage for 4 ohm load issue'is it a function of the amp being required to deliver more current and the supply rails maxing out or what?
Not sure if I qualify for this

But, without bothing to do the maths, I'd guess it's probably a combination of heat dissipation and SOA in the output devices.

With higher rails and lower impedances, there's a chance the Spike protection might kick in to protect the output devices and colour the sound.

Cheers,

Mark
Old 17th June 2003, 02:45 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Jared
if I have an 8 ohm 80x2 amplifier that has a blown channel, what would a good guess on the transformer voltages be? any kathematics to get a ball park figure on this?
Old 17th June 2003, 06:06 AM   #7
mikelm is offline mikelm  England
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to mikelm
Quote:
Originally posted by Jared
if I have an 8 ohm 80x2 amplifier that has a blown channel, what would a good guess on the transformer voltages be? any kathematics to get a ball park figure on this?
It would not be suprising if a 2 x 80 watt amp had + & - 50 volt rails DC so if we assume no voltage regulators then the transformer AC voltage would be about 35V.

...but it's only a guess...

mike
Old 17th June 2003, 02:09 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Jared
bummer. so basically useless for a chip amp supply. I guess I might as well fix the nakamich receiver ! then..
Old 17th June 2003, 02:37 PM   #9
fedde is offline fedde  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to fedde
Quote:
Originally posted by mhennessy

With higher rails and lower impedances, there's a chance the Spike protection might kick in to protect the output devices and colour the sound.
Colour the sound ??? I'd say FUBAR the sound !

BTW: our Peter uses 22 Vac, but he said he measured around 37 Vdc !

Fedde
Old 17th June 2003, 03:27 PM   #10
MWP is offline MWP  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mhennessy

If it kicks in, youll hear it.... its not subtle.

Hide this!Advertise here!