PS question - tformer question actually

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm curious from looking at the power supply schematics... it appears I am lacking a piece of electronics info.. Isn't a transformer primary just a wire? In other words won't a fuse blow for sure if you hook up the primary. Any help is appreciated as I am having (not related to problem above) transformer diagnostic problems. It appears as if something is wrong with the transformer but I'm not sure how I can possibly diagnose it.

Thanks

bsc

breguetphile said:
I'm curious from looking at the power supply schematics... it appears I am lacking a piece of electronics info.. Isn't a transformer primary just a wire? In other words won't a fuse blow for sure if you hook up the primary. Any help is appreciated as I am having (not related to problem above) transformer diagnostic problems. It appears as if something is wrong with the transformer but I'm not sure how I can possibly diagnose it.

Thanks

bsc

the DC resistance might be about 30 ohms but the AC impedence at 50 or 60hz will be much higher and will be dependent on the load on the secondary.

hope that helps

mike

The primary is a coil of wire which creates a magnectic feild which creates back emf which stops fuse blowing, as load is applied to secondary mf starts to colapse and more currant flows in primary. To check tranny frist check windings with ohm meter if center taped as most amp trannys are both output winding should be the same. There should be no circuit between prim @ sec windings, chech this with megger if poss. Does it smell burnt if so very suspect. hope this helps. Also check between windings and frame with megger. If no megger use high ohm scale on MM.
Cheers Max

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.