Point to Point build info

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have got 4x LT1028 chips, they were free and I was wondering if its possible to do point to point using the chips.

I have found a few schematics for the chip and have a couple of questions..

If I follow a schematic and treat each line as a wire, adding caps and resistors as I go... Will this give me the point to point result I am after?

There are a lot of grounds from a number of places. Can I simply join them to a single grounding on chassis or are they different?

I know it may be a pointless venture, but I like to learn by doing rather than watching.

If I follow a schematic and treat each line as a wire, adding caps and resistors as I go... Will this give me the point to point result I am after?

Broadly speaking, yes, but there are things to consider such as daisy chain / star wiring arrangement to consider. Daisy chaining means virtually 'hanging' more than one connections along the length of a wire. Star point, well this one is self-explanatory - every net has a single node, no matter how many connections.

Also, it is worth paying attention to the wiring of sensitive from a stability point-of-view nodes.

I have got 4x LT1028 chips, they were free and I was wondering if its possible to do point to point using the chips.

I have found a few schematics for the chip and have a couple of questions..

There are a lot of grounds from a number of places. Can I simply join them to a single grounding on chassis or are they different?

I know it may be a pointless venture, but I like to learn by doing rather than watching.

Hi littlerick,

Sure! Jump right in! If you know how to solder without getting the chips too hot, they should be fine. If nothing else, put a rubber band on the handle of your long-nose pliers and clip the pliers onto each chip pin before you solder it, BETWEEN the chip and where you are soldering.

You are already asking the right questions, because ground-return-routing can be very important. Running all of the grounds together can be "a bad thing". If in doubt, you could just run every ground as a separate wire, back to a central "star ground" point. At the least, don't combine any high-current or any "dirty" grounds with any chip-input grounds, or you might get noise induced at the amplifier input pins. Also, it can help to keep your wires short, and tidy, with some separation between small-signal wires and higher-power or dirty-signal wires. There are lots of techniques and tips that can improve your results. But learning them is part of what makes all of this so interesting and fun. And learning by doing is often a good way to go.

If you have a problem, the information you need is almost-certainly already somewhere on this website. You could do some searches for "star ground", for example. And if searches end up not being helpful-enough, you can always just ask. The people here are very helpful and friendly, and have almost all of the knowledge you could ever want.

Also, please always pay great attention to electrical SAFETY.

How are you planning to power them?

Cheers,

Tom

P.S. In case it is not shown on some of your schematics, it is probably assumed that you will know to have at least a 10uF electrolytic capacitor and a 0.1 uF ceramic capacitor (probably X7R type) from each chip power pin to ground (often to the chip's output-load's ground).

Note, too, that the chip manufacturer's websites have tons of good technical and practical information, both in the chips' datasheets and, especially, in their Application Notes libraries.

Good suppliers (in the USA) are mouser.com, digikey.com, and allied-elec.com .

Have fun!

Last edited:
I've been looking at data sheet for lt1028 here.. http://cds.linear.com/docs/Datasheet/1028fa.pdf

On page 15 there is a schematic for a phono preamp.. Would it be possible to modify this into a headphone amp by changing Mag Phono Input for a regular audio input. It will be mains powered as I will use it for my PC.... IF it works.

Looks easy enough for a complete noob like me and not to many bits to go wrong.

I've been looking at data sheet for lt1028 here.. http://cds.linear.com/docs/Datasheet/1028fa.pdf
... It will be mains powered as I will use it for my PC.... IF it works.

littlerick,
I'm not sure what your experience level is, so if my statement is something you already know, my apologies.
You say it will be mains powered. You realize the input power to this should be 22 volts, correct?
Mike

Hi mikje, as far as experience goes... I have just put together a LM4780 kit, waiting for transformer to test it... This has been my first and only go at any form of soldering. So i'm kinda worse than a novice...

However, I have been reading as much as I can here and everywhere. Checking schematics against PCB's ect. I think I have a basic understanding of schematics, but absolutly no idea how they actualy work.

I understand I need power within a range for the set-up, my intention with this one would be to use a 240v transformer.

Hi mikje, as far as experience goes... I have just put together a LM4780 kit, waiting for transformer to test it... This has been my first and only go at any form of soldering. So i'm kinda worse than a novice...

However, I have been reading as much as I can here and everywhere. Checking schematics against PCB's ect. I think I have a basic understanding of schematics, but absolutly no idea how they actualy work.

I understand I need power within a range for the set-up, my intention with this one would be to use a 240v transformer.

Sounds good... just makin' sure :2c:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.