Gainclone Transformer - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th November 2012, 08:09 AM   #11
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

A gainclone is a specific implementation.

Most chipamps are not gainclones.
Old 1st December 2012, 01:36 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

I'm curious if the chipamp.com kit, like the audiosector kit, was meant to be a dual mono and compact-specific design. I bought the stereo chipamp.com kit and I believe that the screamingly loud mids tone is counterproductive for music. The bus (not star) layout, the undersized NFB cap (bass block) and the undersize 100u (clearer Louder mids) amplifier board power caps seem to be the main causes, and Natsemi Spike hard clipper also contributes somewhat increased audio distortion if there's any loud playback.

Natsemi in their AN1192.pdf advises minimum of 470u power caps directly at the chip (aka amplifier board power caps). This specification partially fixes the chipamp.com stereo kit, although while 470u apparently works for parallel amp projects, maybe 1000u could be nicer for solo chips as seen in the chipamp.com kit.

I'm speculating that the dual mono kit could dull out the screaming mids by having a power board not more than 2mm away from the amplifier board. These boards are made to line up and be used as one unit. In that case, the 10,000u caps are close enough to, perhaps, swamp some midrange distortion. Hopefully, the dual mono system works well when used in compact layout--large capacitance close to the chips changes it to a "gainclone." Probably then it succeeds with inoffensive music playback. Adding up all the clues, results in 10,000u||1000u amplifier board power caps, same as the MyRef's power circuit.

P.S.
The chipamp.com kit does seem useful for television. Personally, I'd much rather have the high-end made-for-music NatSemi LME chips for a more pleasant experience with music playback.

Last edited by danielwritesbac; 1st December 2012 at 01:40 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!