flash .. bang .. oily liquid .. no music!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
elizard said:
how do i measure em???

Put an ohm meter on them (+ to + and - to - of course) and watch the meter. As the cap charges, the resistance should climb- quick at first, and then slow down and almost settle. If you get constant high ohms, or really low ohms, it is probably dead. Unless they are BG or something, I would go ahead and replace them if for nothing more than the peace of mind. Hang in there. You'll get it!
Steve

Gerontius said:
I had the power transformer in it's own case connected by an umbilical and a Neutrik connector.

When I went to fire it up for the second or third time, I mistakenly connected the mains neutrik connector into the amp/eq chassis where the umbilical from the transformer chassis should have gone. 230V AC where 35V DC should have gone. It made a terrible squelching noise, and the result was that almost every chip in the case was fried instantly. It didn't smell too good either.

That is EXACTLY the reason we have standard connectors so things like this never happen! Plz be careful - it will kill - or at least give you a bad hair day!

i don't know if it's just me, but a Gain Clone seems like a tough
first project. Point to point wiring in small places... it sounds like
(smells like?) he probably had a short somewhere, polarity
reversed, etc... easy to do in in such cramped quarters.

my first DIY attempt was so laughable i won't even mention it
here! You're in good company elizard!!

good luck elizard, keep at it.

i don't know if it's just me, but a Gain Clone seems like a tough

I disagree. If you have ever tried to troubleshoot a fault on a discrete amp, you'll know that the GC is comparatively easy! With so few parts, you could substitute all of them (if necessary) in an hour or two at the most.

I think it is because the Gainclone looks so easy, that some people 'throw' it together and then get problems. I do agree that point-to-point wiring in such a confined space does require extra skill. Maybe first-time builders would do better to start with a purchased PCB (the GC equivalent of buying a kit amp).

Also, because the GC looks so easy and attracts many newbies to the DIY hi-fi club, perhaps those of us with more experience should try and anticipate some of the problems/mistakes they may encounter. When I have time, I will try and include a few more of the 'basics' on my Gainclone page.

more advice !!!

I hope your not getting too fed up with advice, I just thought of something else that I always try and do even with the seemingly easiest of cct's and that is to draw a diagram.

Then when I have sorted that out I draw a picture of the layout, so when it comes to the actual action making the thing it is much more straight forward because most of the thinking & planning is already done.

good luck

mike

no, keep the advice coming :)

i've desoldered everything
next up, i'm gonna take apart the PS and re-do it ..
then after that, i'll wait for the lm3875's, and re-do the GC's, color code everything, and double check it
then wait till the next day to check again and power up :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.