diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Chip Amps (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/chip-amps/)
-   -   Chip amps vs class D amps (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/chip-amps/157400-chip-amps-vs-class-d-amps.html)

lanchile 27th December 2009 02:59 AM

Chip amps vs class D amps

Has anyone compared the Chip amps against Class D amps?.
I have build LM3875/LM3886 But now I would love to try to build one Class D amp.How will the sound compare to the chip amps from this company classdaudio.com. They told me I can just add a potentiometer 10K and it can be used as integrated amp.

tiltedhalo 27th December 2009 04:32 AM

Not even a comparison IMHO, until technology in class D gets better, not to say it is not "good", and I have heard very good switch mode amps. I personally find even good D amps to have a narrow analytical sound.

tvrgeek 27th December 2009 11:52 AM

Been following this, Discrete, vs chip vs D.
I have not heard the best of the best in D, but the D forum claims they are there now, The production units I have heard were harsh, closed, and dull. Great for a sub, or a car. I may even build one. I have not heard the new NAD.

Chip-amps sound middle of the road. Maybe I have not heard a really good one, but none I have heard can match even my old Rotel's for musicality. Guess I should sacrifice an old Hafler chassis and build one.

Old school, bottom of the line Hafler or B&K, move up to Rotel, Parasound, and then up to the good stuff. Let me know when a new technology can beat a Naim, Krell or Pass. I am sure it will someday :)

lanchile 27th December 2009 03:05 PM

Thanks for the comments! I guess class D amps are not ready yet. The LM3875/LM3886 are good chips to build amps but, I heard the class D amps were better in sound I guess I have to wait until I build one and compare them side by side.

lanchile 27th December 2009 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiltedhalo (Post 2025447)
Not even a comparison IMHO, until technology in class D gets better, not to say it is not "good", and I have heard very good switch mode amps. I personally find even good D amps to have a narrow analytical sound.

Thanks tiltedhalo, I know for sure the LM3875/LM3886 sound really good but I just wanted to know if these class D amps can kick some butts too. But I guess they do not...lol.;)

cyteen 27th December 2009 04:20 PM

If you ask this question in the class d forum I'm sure you will get another answer.

Face 27th December 2009 08:37 PM

I own a few Class A, A/B, and chip amps. I recently picked up a Wyred 4 Sound ST500 and believe someone finally got Class D right.

TheShaman 27th December 2009 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cyteen (Post 2025863)
If you ask this question in the class d forum I'm sure you will get another answer.

Exactly.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Face (Post 2026148)
I recently picked up a Wyred 4 Sound ST500 and believe someone finally got Class D right.

Or you just found/heard the right one for you. ;)

darkfenriz 27th December 2009 10:29 PM

Chip amps vs class D amps

sounds like German cars vs. red cars ;)

lowpoke 27th December 2009 10:34 PM

Red cars are nowhere near as fast as German cars ;)
However, a red German car ... now that's a whole different kettle of fish ...