EASY diy gainclone ???

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It is easier than you think. . .

Go for it. I have no formal electronics training and instead read an intro to electronics book. With my minimal knowledge it was relatively easy to build. I encourage you to follow Thorsten's inverted schematic as I did. I am very pleased with my results, but I did have a couple of setbacks along the way. The first mistake I made was installing the capacitor on the V- rail backward, which promptly exploded electrolytic goo into the bottom of my amp case (no Variac to test things out first). With that problem fixed I had one happily running channel.

On the second channel I fried one chip before I realized my mistake. I used the uninsulated LM3875, and although I was using a mica insulator, a burr on the case was shorting out the back of the chip. After deburring the case and soldering in a new chip I had a fully functional (and very nice sounding) amplifier.

Just take your time and you'll do just fine. After you gather all of the parts, familiarize yourself with them, and look at some of the layouts people have used. After you're done, take a break and quadruple check your wiring. It may seem intimidating, I'd bet once you try it yourself you be hooked.

Thor Amp page (not mine)

Hmmm, errr... from Philips ;)

Not readily available I am afraid. Though a decent metal working place has these strips to cut. Anyway, I did some earth-shaking tests today and found out it is not really sufficient ;)

And I would recommend aluminium now because that conducts heat better. I can feel that there is a large temperature gradient in the bar....

Fedde

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.