Anyone use Wall warts to run a gainclone - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th May 2003, 07:25 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JCoffey
Interesting. I have quite a few compaq laptop power supplies laying around. Something to look into. Build a couple Monoblocks with laptop cords connected to them.......

If you use a balanced topology (and "create your own ground"), you can get by with one PSU and won't have to worry about interference between the supplies (beating comes to mind since they are NOT running at the same frequency, but probably close).

I would add filtering at the output of the Compaq unit. Try it with a resistive load first to verify that you don't get oscillations with your chosen filter (LC or just C?). It would probably be opportune to look at the waveform to see how "bad" the output is.

Petter
Old 29th May 2003, 07:59 PM   #12
mikelm is offline mikelm  England
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to mikelm
Quote:
Originally posted by Petter

If you use a balanced topology (and "create your own ground&quot, you can get by with one PSU and won't have to worry about interference between the supplies (beating comes to mind since they are NOT running at the same frequency, but probably close).

I would add filtering at the output of the Compaq unit. Try it with a resistive load first to verify that you don't get oscillations with your chosen filter (LC or just C?). It would probably be opportune to look at the waveform to see how "bad" the output is.

Petter
after trying different single rail voltages for balanced working ( with a resistor divider and cap to define the centre point for the i/p earth ) I came to the conclusion that 36V was about optimum.
I'm not sure if computor supplies come this high. And yes, LF common mode noise will cancel but this does not apply to higher frequencies so filtering will be necessary

cheers

mike
Old 29th May 2003, 11:36 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JCoffey
Interesting. I have quite a few compaq laptop power supplies laying around. Something to look into. Build a couple Monoblocks with laptop cords connected to them.......
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Petter
[B]

I blew a Compaq supply and replaced with a linear one with Pass transistor for the extra juice -- CPQ wanted $90 for a new supply! Apple, btw, is worse and their laptop supplies have short half-lives.

With regard to filtering -- it's the switching transients you want to eliminate in addition to the ripple. Thus, I use a small surplus torroid on the DC line. Without it you get interference eminating back from the computer into the power line.
Old 29th May 2003, 11:53 PM   #14
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by jackinnj

Apple, btw, is worse and their laptop supplies have short half-lives.]
Hmmm, I have been running mac laptops for years, and I have had no problems with PSUs... CDrom drives yes, but PSUs...no
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 29th May 2003, 11:57 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Default it's the connector

the connector which they use can become "undone" with a lot of use, mine became intermittent and sparked -- we have 2 Mac laptops in the house, 1 dell and 1 compaq. The Mac connector is "quirky" to say the least, incorporating ferrite shielding into the body of the casing. Compaq just uses a standard plug, Dell's is proprietary, but not as complex as the Mac to replace.
Old 30th May 2003, 01:26 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to zx3chris
what about using 4 of these??

http://www.brigarelectronics.com/Mer...ategory_Code=T

12vdc each, so 2 in series for 24v then the other 2 with a center ground for +/- ????

Hide this!Advertise here!