etching gainclone pcb - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th March 2010, 03:04 PM   #11
pra3718 is offline pra3718  India
diyAudio Member

After learning expresspcb I am facing a problem. I have seen lot-off threads which claims the attached pictures are ready for etching. For example LM1875 shows pin 1 is left side, if i etch, and turn the pcb at component side pin 1 would be right side. How should I proceed?
Old 11th March 2010, 03:32 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Don't you have an option to 'mirror' the print out ?

Use 2 parts H2O2 ( Hydrogen peroxide) ( bought from a chemist ) to 1 part HCL solution bought from a regular supermarket or the corner grocery store. called ' cleaning acid for cleaning purposes.
Works VERY fast . Be careful about the HCL fumes and I think you MUST look up the web for safe usage of HCL even in solution form. Complete etching takes place in about 3 minutes or so !

As for printing using the Laser printer method ( inkjet will not work). Use high quality glossy paper from product brochures ( cheap ) or better still some low cost photo printing paper. It needn't be glossy but make sure you print on the correct side. You might need to try ironing on the image a few times to get the hang of it. If it comes out bad, clean the surface with paint thinner and do it again. I touch up errors with nail polish diluted with amyl acetate ( or nail polish remover ). Make sure you do NOT reverse the image. The image must be what you see on screen ( from the component side). When you iron it on it gets reversed ! CHECK the image that you ironed on to the copper board BEFORE you etch. Make sure it isn't reversed.
Old 11th March 2010, 06:11 PM   #13
Mooly is online now Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

I get good results using an inkjet and this,
http://www.megauk.com/datasheets/521...ons_(0807).pdf
Old 12th March 2010, 12:51 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Is that an 'iron on' film ? The laser printer method is an 'iron on method'. No need for any exposure to light etc.
Old 12th March 2010, 06:08 AM   #15
ratza is offline ratza  Romania
diyAudio Member

Toner transfer method obviously works only if you print with laser printers or copy machines. I also use this method and print the PCBs on glossy magazine covers instead of buying PnP dedicated foil. I managed to get traces as thin as 14mills.
Old 12th March 2010, 06:14 AM   #16
Mooly is online now Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashok View Post
Is that an 'iron on' film ? The laser printer method is an 'iron on method'. No need for any exposure to light etc.
You mean the Jetstar film ?
It's a transparency, so use a UV light box. No problem going down to very fine print sizes such as for surface mount.
Old 12th March 2010, 09:57 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

Yes I mean't the JetStar film .
With the toner method you don't need any expensive paper or a photo sensitive coating on the copper laminate. Just a good laser print on paper (as explained) and a plain clean copper laminate board. No exposing time either just time to 'iron it on' !
Old 12th March 2010, 10:36 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to kuldeepsingh
Toner transfer method is the best for DIY starters, but u need a little practice to get "right" time, heat and pressure to use with iron. I had made many gainclone PCBs just like this only.
just check it - DIY Audio Amplifier Blog: Making Gainclone PCB at Home.
and - DIY Audio Amplifier Blog: Make@home PCB drill.
Old 13th March 2010, 08:04 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Toner transfer method is the best for DIY starters, but u need a little practice to get "right" time, heat and pressure to use with iron. I had made many gainclone PCBs just like this only
I agree, it may be best method and I need little practice to get right time, heat and pressure to use with iron.

Okey. Today I tried, but all circuit does not appear on pcb. I think there is no confusion till circuit printed on glossy paper. Please find what is my mistake.

1) I put pcb copper side up on the piece of MDF.
2) printed glossy paper, printed side at copper.
3) Put the iron on the paper upto 5 min. ( There is no way to find circuit appear on pcb or not. Because paper stick with pcb. If circuit not appear on pcb more heat required )
4) After 5 min. I found glossy paper is still white, (means, heat does not effect) PCB becomes very hot & little BEND. after 2 min I put it in full glass of water. After 10 Min glossy paper removed very easily but few part of circuit does not appear on pcb.

I think, equal pressure & heat is required to all the area of pcb. OR what ?
Old 13th March 2010, 09:33 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

I visit DIY Chip Amplifier Kits, PCB's, Components and Information. and found lm3886 pcb it is

a) Red color ( Is that paint or what is ? )
b) Solder at component side ( How is it possible ? )
c) DIY Chip Amplifier Kits, PCB's, Components and Information. is also make pcb by this toner procedure ?

Hide this!Advertise here!