LME49810/11/30, LM3886 hum issues & grounding - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th December 2009, 08:08 PM   #1
tomchr is offline tomchr  United States
diyAudio Member

Default LME49810/11/30, LM3886 hum issues & grounding

Folks,

As I seem to have hi-jacked the "Comparing LME49810, LME49811, LME49830 thread" with my grounding issues, I have started a new thread.

The post below seems to be a good starting point for this.

---

So as promised, here are the noise plots (in dBV/rt(Hz)) for an LM3886 amp with a gain of 20 V/V (26 dB). When building the amp, I made sure to have proper star grounding.

I am fairly certain that the remaining 60 Hz hum is electrostatic coupling into the input and/or feedback. I suppose I could shield the circuit with some aluminum foil to find out for sure, but I haven't bothered.
Initially, I had issues with multiple harmonics of 60 Hz showing up on the output. I got rid of those by grounding the heat sink the LM3886 is mounted to. I'm using the TF version (isolated package).

There's still a very, very faint hiss in the speaker. But the hum is gone. The hiss is only audible when I put my ear 1-2 cm from the tweeter dome so I can live with it.

Bottom line: Star ground does matter.

~Tom
Attached Images
File Type: gif LM3886_Amp_0-500Hz.gif (9.3 KB, 1065 views)
File Type: gif LM3886_Amp_0-50kHz.gif (8.4 KB, 1018 views)
File Type: jpg LM3886_Amp.jpg (76.4 KB, 1052 views)
Old 17th December 2009, 08:15 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Latest update: As I broke down the setup following my post, I discovered that the output of the amp wasn't connected to the load but rather to a distortion analyzer that was turned off. If I connect the amp to the load, I get more harmonics of the 60 Hz.

My load resistor is set up on a rather large aluminum heat sink with fans. I wonder if it is acting as an antenna. I'll need to figure this one out...

I now have two channels working. I don't hear any hum in the speakers just a very, very faint hiss when I press my ear against the speaker. I got it done late last night so I haven't spent a lot of time listening to it, but my initial impression is good.

~Tom
Old 17th December 2009, 09:43 PM   #3
Electrons are yellow and more is better!
diyAudio Member

You must be aware of the power supply rejection ratio. How much is the hum related to the output really? -90 dBV = 30 uV

Every amp has a noise and your result is very good.
Old 17th December 2009, 11:40 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peranders View Post
You must be aware of the power supply rejection ratio. How much is the hum related to the output really? -90 dBV = 30 uV

Every amp has a noise and your result is very good.
I know. But the engineer in me can't help being curious as to where the little bit of hum that is left is injected.

~Tom
Old 18th December 2009, 06:19 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Default Bingo!

I got it figured out. The 60 Hz "spur" was indeed caused by electrostatic coupling into the circuit. I wrapped the circuit in aluminum foil (after insulating it with a plastic bag) and measured the noise again. All ripple components are now gone.

Interestingly, grounding the load resistor heat sink knocked 6 dB off the 60 Hz spur. That was definitely an unexpected result.

Figures below show the output noise voltage (dBV/rt(Hz)) with the amp input grounded with a 50 Ohm terminator. The amp gain is 20.6 V/V (26.3 dB). The noise floor measures approx -130 dBV/rt(Hz), corresponding to 316 nV/rt(Hz) - or an input referred noise voltage spectral density of 15.3 nV/rt(Hz). Quite nice!

~Tom
Attached Images
File Type: gif LM3886_Amp_0-500Hz_HPE3620Asupply_Shielded.gif (9.2 KB, 981 views)
File Type: gif LM3886_Amp_0-50kHz_HPE3620Asupply_Shielded.gif (9.0 KB, 920 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf LM3886_Amp_Distortion_1W_HPE3620Asupply_Shielded.pdf (12.4 KB, 147 views)
Old 18th December 2009, 11:05 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Tom, what hardware and software do you use to make those measurements?
Old 19th December 2009, 08:38 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

For the noise measurements, I use an HP 3562A dynamic signal analyzer. For the distortion, an HP 8903A audio analyzer.

I control the instruments via a Prologix USB-GPIB controller using KE5FX's GPIB toolkit to get the plots from the 3562A. And I use a MATLAB script that I've developed to make the distortion curves. Eventually, those scripts will make it on to my Audio Website that I'm in the process of setting up.

~Tom
Old 10th February 2010, 12:42 AM   #8
The Dastardly Dad of Three
diyAudio Member

Tom, as I am in the process of setting up a bench, could I ask why you'd use the HP8903A for the distortion instead of the HP3562A ? If I had the budget/time to learn to use only one, which would you think I should get ?
Old 22nd February 2010, 09:49 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

I find the 8903A to be easier and more flexible in day-to-day use. Its built-in source has extremely low distortion. It's nice to have a distortion number readout so one can tweak the circuit to achieve minimum distortion (bias adjust for example). Its AC voltmeter is nice and makes conversion from voltage to power into 8 ohms a snap (just enter: 19.0 SPCL).

But if I want to measure the noise floor or figure out which harmonic is the dominant contributor to the THD, I use the 3562A. It's also useful for IMD measurements or to figure out how much 60/120 Hz ripple makes it through the amp. It's a nice, does-it-all box but the much underappreciated HP 3581A Wave Analyzer is a realistic substitute if you know the frequency of the signal of interest.

~Tom
Old 22nd February 2010, 10:33 PM   #10
infinia is offline infinia  United States
diyAudio Member

120 Hz should dominate you should see it above noise floor esp at load! from the 60 Hz reading being highest means you have a measurement ground loop. on the DUT yank the chassis to earth to check or better yet connect it to the SA chassis with a piece of braid or Cu tape. Something is not right if adding shielding chages the noise reading.

I use a big aluminum plate sitting on the bench connecting the DUT (PS +amp +load) and SA together.

Last edited by infinia; 22nd February 2010 at 10:53 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!