tda7370

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

Sorry for the thread necro, but I was wondering what you did with the TDA7370 amps you made? I have been messing about with one of these - two bridged channels as per the manufacturers datasheet, running from a 13.8 volt benchtop PSU. It sounds nice for vocals & up, but there is bugger all bass from it. Is this a characteristic of the chip?

I have now got the bug to make a 'nice' amp for myself, something like 50 watts per channel (2 channels) in to 6 or 8 ohm speakers - have you any experience here?

Thanks in advance,

David.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
It sounds nice for vocals & up, but there is bugger all bass from it. Is this a characteristic of the chip?

Would that be a technical term ? :D

The chip goes down to DC so the only limitations on bass response are the values of the coupling caps, input and speaker.

Have you measured the output at lower frequencies ? A test CD would be good with equal level tones at say 400Hz (as a reference) and then lower frequencies of 40Hz and say 10Hz and 5Hz. Easy to make one using Audacity.

Speakers in phase ;) course they are...

Hi, I wasn't thinking of making anew amp based on a 13.8v circuit, that was just what I was playing with.

I am not the best-informed person in the world, so you'll have to forgive me any basic mistakes!

What I would like to end up with is an amp, and eventually a pair of speakers, which can play my favourite music (of the moment!) loud-ish but with clear vocals and a good, strong kick drum.

The particular tracks I am thinking about at the minute are by the band Muse, from their album The Resistance, particularly tracks 4 (United States of Eurasia) and 5 (Guiding Light) - they have almost lone vocals through to a big sound with drums & guitars, with some very bassy effects in the middle (actually the sound of jet engines!).

I hope this gets across the capability I am ultimately looking for, and I welcome any suggestions and pointers!

Thanks,

David.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Hello, I did a search for the TDA7283 but there were no results (other than this thread! Did you mean the "Powerful TDA7293 kit" in your signature? Thanks for the reply!
Yes, that's the one. After the mods (plenty of photos), it got to be a good amplifier.
I made it variable gain on the new schematic because the "ideal" gain varies by power voltage used and not everyone used the same voltage. So, it is good to note that the startup value of the trimmer, 50R plus the 680R, means that the feedback-shunt resistor is 730R.

I used 510+220=730 on mine, and that was just the cheap carbon Radio Shack resistors (probably Xicon--the pins are not thin). Noticeably, it does Not require input accessories, such as Baxandall, EQ, BlareBuster, LightSpeed, Small Signal Transformer, nor any sort of input loss at all in order to achieve a level tone. Like a tube amp, it is absolutely fantastic on tone. I have to say that it (the project modded as illustrated) does very well for a 90W amp. Prettiest party blaster sort that I ever heard, and while its no slouch on imaging (still far better than retail), it does mainly concentrate on the palatable tone that is mandatory for loud playback to be useful.

Alternative use:
If you want high end imaging, decrease both the power voltage and the gain considerably and simultaneously. It can indeed do high end audio as a lower gain flea power amp. For this mode, a 13.5+13.5 to 15+15vac transformer is used, and then you can cut the gain to minimum (per the datasheet). Any of the TDA7293/4/5/6 can be used in that way, although the TDA7293 (check the pin11 predrive output, check the clip pin output) is less likely to be faked, so that helps (however, flea power mode also works on most fakes almost as well--which is considerably better than exploding them). Parallel mode is not vital for use in flea power amplifiers. The SMALL compact + dual layer TDA7293's can be used and I feel fairly certain that we could find some at low cost if you wanted to.
In comparison, the LM1875 Turbo style design still retains a little bit of grandpa sound, meanwhile the severely undervolted minimum gain 7293 is quite exciting except for the cruelty that cranking it up will not work at all (meanwhile, LM1875 turbo, she will crank up, but not quite break the plaster and it is still a bit awesome).
My newest project is a double woofer (8R+8R=4R) 1942 Crosley that only has room for 6-1/2" woofers. SO, rather than shove a very decent 8 ohm 6-1/2" with the LM1875, I got curious to do the spooky high end imaging thing with an under-volted TDA7293 and a pair of 91db efficient woofers in parallel and with a Devore style hybrid series crossover. My cousin John does better through excellent driver matching and much finer cabinetry. But since that costs a lot, I just apply on-hand materials and the tech still does work (a more tweaky crossover that doesn't cause any dull spots). The only "blonde moment" I think he ever had is that he doesn't exploit the amplifier capacity to make quasi-active bi-amplified speakers. Other than that I just couldn't fault him. Meanwhile, I can exploit the amplifiers since I made them, to do the quasi-active thing plus a real crossover with the dulling business still absent. For 3-way design, the woofer and mid share an amplifier, then the tweeter has a private amplifier that never clips.
This line of thought wasn't going very far. However, I guess that my point was that if you don't need to break your ears for some tinnitus tea kettle nonstop whistle annoyance, then flea power fun (excellent linearity and imaging finally meet) plus the hybrid series crossover, could lead to some long lasting entertainment for music replay.

Advanced alternative use:
It is possible to do the quad rail thing with the TDA7293, for a rather high end result up to 40W.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.