• LM3886

Votes: 88 53.3%
  • LM3875

Votes: 56 33.9%
  • TDA7294

Votes: 21 12.7%

• Total voters
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Problem is not construction. 3886 and 3875 are both easy but problem is which one has best quality sound but also some powerfull

Well, both chips are good.I have had both and they were well designed and I used Crazy parts like Black gates and mundorf caps just to name some.They were quiet as a mouse.I decided to keep the LM3875 because the sound quality over the LM3886.
Power? well if you need more power than 50 watts or so.....look elsewhere!
I can not put mine all the way up...too much power for my apt.
and also if you want more power get speakers with high SPL over 90db and you will not need more power than 20 watts lol.

I hav notice another thing which is that the lm3886 is for 8 ohm and 4 ohm speakers but lm3875 is only for 8 ohm speakers. if i hav 4 ohm speakers than for best quality sound i should be with lm3886 but if some one have 8 ohm speaker he should be with lm3875 for best quality sound??????????????????

Has anyone measured the response and distortion of LM3875 and LM3886 amplifiers? I wonder if the midrange for the LM3875 is boosted to give a more appealing if incorrect sound? National's graphs do not show any superiority of LM3875.

I build both amps carefully, and I used the best method to do the test...My ears!.I do not care if the LM3875/LM3886 has 0.000000009% distortion if at the end it is going to sound not so pleasant to my ears.Do not get me wrong here,That was just an example only. I am not saying that LM3886 sounds bad at all.But to my ears LM3875 sounds better But again,maybe to your ears the LM3886 is going to sound better.I even did some tests with some friends against good commercial amps like Acurus Di 100 (integrated) Portal Panache, Adcom 510 and the Bryston B60.Call me crazy but These IC's can kick some a$$.Some people say these chips are found in cheap radios,TV, speakers etc.But no matter where these chips are used or the price of these IC's that does not mean these IC's are bad.one thing is for sure....if they are used properly, they can give excellent results.LM3875 and LM3886 are very good IC's to build amps no doubt!.;)

As lanchile says, your ears is the best way to test! All our ears and flavours is different and you need to find out which one you like best, by building one of each and use your ears.

Personally, I think the difference is:

LM3886: More details, a bit harsh. But thats the way I like it.
LM3875: Humble, more soft in the sond. Good, but to gentle for my taste.

So, what's your taste?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.