chip amp with 12v DC AND 240v AC power supplies?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guys.

I'm interested in building a chip amp (maybe Hypex ucd 400) which has the capability to run from 12volt DC power (lead acid batteries) and also from 240volt Ac (uk mains). While maintaining high efficiency operation and safety.

Is it possible for a semi beginner? How would you go about it?

Ok, So I guessed this would be a little complex. Most of that went over my head.:confused:

the Hypex modules run off bipolar supplies +ve & -ve and the minimum voltage is ±45V. I

So does that mean that the Hypex modules are not suitable for 12v dc operation without....

a boost converter or push pull converter to increase it to what you want

??

is that the same as an SMPS? Or is an SMPS just a type MOSFET?

I'm sorry that I only have a rudimentary understanding of this stuff. I just need to know if if it is possible (hypex or tripath)without losing loads of efficiency on the 12v side. If it is possible then I will have a reason to sit down and learn about it in depth. Thanks everyone for helping. :D

Each TDA1562 with 12V supply produces 3 to 4 times more power output than any Tripath with the same 12V supply. TDA1562 includes a voltage doubler and puts 24V to the speakers.

I love class D but with such a low supply voltage and no SMPS it's not a good deal at all.

Thanks everyone.

I apologize for my ignorance I thought classD and Tripath were all chip amps.

I wish those tripaths and the TDA1562 had a bit more grunt (power). The TDA1462 looks like it could be just enough to run my tweeters but I'm also looking for power amps for 2channel 300w at 8ohm. I'd be a happy boy if I could half the number of amps i needed (by having amps which and run from mains and 12volt/24volt.) while maintaining efficiency and sound quality.

So whats the drawback with using an SMPS? If I was to run off 24v would that help reduce power wastage?

I don't know of any SMPS that can accept 12VDC to 240AC and output ±45V

If the switching is efficient then could I build an amp which has 2 SMPS and choose between them?

Actually it's pretty easy to make or hack a SMPS that outputs -+45V from 12Vdc and 240Vac. You just need to 2 SMPS's.

One that outputs 12Vdc from 115/240Vac (possibly a charger) and one that outputs +-45V from a 12Vdc supply.

I'm just curious why you think you need that high power output since it seems like you wish to make a mobile solution. An amp with a -+45V supply would suck a standard 55Ah car battery dry in about 15 minutes at maximum volume into 4 Ohms speakers, so that's a short party.

Last edited:
Actually it's pretty easy to make or hack a SMPS that outputs -+45V from 12Vdc and 240Vac. You just need to 2 SMPS's.

One that outputs 12Vdc from 115/240Vac (possibly a charger) and one that outputs +-45V from a 12Vdc supply.

Wicked!! that's what I want to hear. Thanks! :D big smiles. So then I can build a hypex amp with 2 SMPS and chose between them. What would the circuit/switch which would allow me to switch between the supplies have to be?

I'm just curious why you think you need that high power output

I'm building quite a big rig. Its not really that mobile. I will probably start with a 2x180w hypex if that will work. use that for a treble amp then move onto mids. This could save me lots of money

OOps I didn't read your post properly. You're saying that I should put in a power supply which does the 12vdc to +- 45vdc and then for the 240v operation hook up a second power supply to supply the first to with its 12vdc thats brilliant.

Then all I would need to do is have a switch which interrupts one of the wires from the 240-12v supply when in 12v mode.

Thanks everyone I'll start looking for suitable components.

I'm building quite a big rig. Its not really that mobile. I will probably start with a 2x180w hypex if that will work. use that for a treble amp then move onto mids. This could save me lots of money

I'm still confused why you think you'd need that much output power on something you obviously intend to run on batteries/generator some of the time. More power does not automatically means it's louder. Intelligent design and use of the right speakers will probably do a lot more than increasing power output of the amps.

I think the easy solution for you is to buy standard car amps instead unless you have a lot of experience in building SMPS's.

Last edited:
I think the easy solution for you is to buy standard car amps instead unless you have a lot of experience in building SMPS's.

Yeah I just had a look for some components and it wasn't promising.

Intelligent design and use of the right speakers will probably do a lot more than increasing power output of the amps.

All of the above is true. But Amplifier headway is also important.

Thanks Everyone for your help. :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.