A question about the LM3886 (chipamp kit) and Gain…

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have recently added some 98db speakers to my system and have run into a hum issue. My tube preamp has a very minor hum that was not noticeable on my 85db speakers. I’d like to reduce the gain on the ChipAmp to 23 to see if it will help. Then I ran into the following post today…
look at the datasheet again.
At a gain of 10 (+20dB) the amp is just stable.
At a gain of 12 (+21.6dB) it is slightly improved, but the phase margin is still low.
At a gain of 20(+26dB) the phase margin is getting better.
At a gain of 30 (+29.5dB) the phase margin is ~80 to 85degrees.
Many listeners report that the 3886 sounds good when the gain is around 26 to 30 times. I suspect it's due to the improved phase margin avoiding overshoot on fast transients.

Has anyone run a non-inverting lm3886 at 23db gain? What happens to the sound? In what way is the sound “less good”?

Thanks

Do you mean 23dB or x23 gain?
Anyway, I have tested a 3886 amplifier with 10K/680R feedback that makes x15,71 and appx. 23,9dB. I did not hear any difference from x21 configuration.

I was referring to 23db. The kit originally had 22k/680 Rf/R3 on the feedback. I swapped out R3 for a 1k. According to the manual gain = 1+Rf/R3 so I'm now at 23db.

The gain on the chip will not help too much, try to remove the hum from the preamp. The problem with the phase margin is that the amp will have the tendency to oscillate when phase tends to decrease to 0 degrees.

I can still hear the hum when I'm within a few feet of the speaker, but it is greatly reduced with the lower gain. You are right that the best solution is to get ride of the hum. I think it may be an a/c heater issue.

No! 22/1 makes x23 gain (~27,5dB) and not 23dB. And this is a good value for NFB line.

I'm not sure the difference. I'm just going by what it says in http://chipamp.com/docs/lm3886-manual.pdf page 14
I'm a network engineer who's midlife crisis consists of wishing he was an electrical engineer.

What schematic did you use?

It’s a 6j6 based kit that I stumbled upon. Looked interesting .
Euterpe preamp update - Skiing Ninja Community Forums

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.