Chip Audio Amps as Motor Controllers?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Does anyone have experience using chip audio amplifiers as DC motor controllers?

I know there are some obvious issues such as poorly-specified offsets, but I was wondering if there were any other reasons I couldn't use these parts in this application. The most useful topology for me would be using a stereo amplifier chip as a linear full-bridge motor amplifier.

I've used the TI OPA548 like this before, but it is a general purpose high power op amp and a bit expensive for what I'm working on.

There seem to be some well-protected parts from National Semiconductor and NXP.

If anyone has any thoughts, warnings or other related experience, I would be very grateful. Thanks.

The L165 datasheet contains some nice applications for that chip. If you compare it's properties to that of a TDA2030, you'll notice that they're "similar"....
BTW, I was wrong. The TDA2030 isn't labelled as a driver, the TDA2030A (!) is labelled as one.

It's possible but overkill. Very simple PWM is all that's needed for a motor. Also note that even the largest audio amplifier is small by motor control standards.

Then again, in the movie "Who Killed the Electric Car?". one of the engineers described the motor controller as a "3 channel stereo amplifier to generate the right size sine waves for all driving conditions".

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.