The best sounding audio integrated opamps

Chris said -> DC from CS4398 is 1/2 VCC if I remember correctly. You will get a large DC offset if you remove them and are using the balanced output as unbalanced.

Anybody care to explain..
I will use sometimes those balanced output with unbalanced inputs of gears..

I will have 3 OPA1612 in the balanced signal path...

I WANT no caps or film caps and hope not to use electrolytic in the signal path.. anybody can help??

hifimediy use 2.2uf to remove dc offset from cs dac chip and no opamp at all... but it's unbalanced outputs...

after some research.. i was thinking about using clarity cap esa
ClarityCap ESA Series Film Capacitor

anybody could help me on the uf value??

(i could also bypass those)
i tought of 0.022uF 200V Russian teflon capacitors FT-1 Lot 10 | eBay

if i have space :) but could use some cheap vishay mkp1837 too..
I will also bypass all SMD cap in the signal path with 0.22uf mkp1837
CD DAC Lampucera lampizator

thx for helping me having the best sound out of this card :)

Last edited:
I once saw a guy receive a cellphone call while standing in a ferrite-lined anechoic chamber with the door half-open. The chamber was in a huge tin shed. 'Course he could have had line-of-sight to the mast thru an opening that was obscured by a stud wall or something, but we were both pretty surprised. 1.8GHz

But not as surprised as when I saw this:-

I get decent sound from NE5532s

:eek:

...and they told me a leopard couldn't change its spots.

Hi,
i need to build a simple gain stage of 6 db in order to amplify the output of my minidsp from, 0,9 to 1,5 V approx. So i need to build 2 stereo channels, and i would like your suggestions about good opamps for this application.

I have build this stage before in the past using

• Opa2134 - not very happy with the sound of it.
  • LM4562 - very good and tonally balanced, cheap.
  • LT1028 - same as above with more detail but expensive.
I would like to try something different from the above if you think it is worth it, otherwise i will stick with LM4562 witch had the best performance/price ratio for me.

Hi sorry again to bother all of you.. i was just wondering about the signal path of the Emu 1616m.. first of all for each dac chip, there is 2 mirrored outputs 1/8 and 1/4 trs balanced..

what is bothering me is that if you look at the picture.. there's is 3 jrc2068 opamps in the signal path while the e-mu 1212m and 1820m only had 2.. I plan on replacing all of them with OPA1612 but I wonder if I should use different opamp in some position and for the DC caps after cs4398 i'm hesitating between higher cost AVX FFB, evox mmk,wima msp, or lower cost electro, nichicon kz or es or silmic II, (all bypassed with evox/rifa smr 0.22uf. I also plan to bypass with evox smr all smd caps in the signal path and changing all the caps in power supply to higher uf panasonic FR.. (bypassed with smr??)

I wonder what those 3 opamp do since the CS4398 is a voltage out dac with already an opamp onboard.. And if they are all use as dual opamp.. (maybe the 2nd stage is using the jrc2068 as single opamp so i could replace those with single opamp)

I also have to admit that sound of the E-mu 1616m is worst(harsher) than the 1820m even if power is external while 1820m use computer power.. Could it be that it's another stage of jrc2068 in the signal path, that is crippling the sound.. I know the caps sucks too in the signal path..

anyway.. i need help from pro badly.. will opa1612 to replace the 3 jrc2068 work well..? what are the opamp use?? filter /iv? Anybody know the lowest "uf" I could use for the caps.. (might use balanced or unbalanced outputs)

what about other little caps near the cs4398.. what would you recommend for those and what are they doing.. (power supply caps to opamp i guess?) should i bypass those with evox SMR?

anything better than 0.22uf evox SMR to use as bypassing in the same 1.50$ range of price and similar small size..? (from my research it's seem perfect, other options was russian teflon but it's a little big)

tons of questions for the pro :) ..

note that this can help tons of people having the same questions about those components..

and that you will help a DJ to have the best sound everywhere he will play.. it's gonna be my dj tweaked soundcard..

i can even give you the full signal path for one channel (without the smd capacitors in the path)
CS4398 -> 47uf 16v cap -> resistor 90E -> resistor 29E -> resistor 18A -> jrc2068 -> A5W-K relay (white) ->resistor 68B -> JRC2068 -> resistor 195 -> muting fet (6K) -> TRS 1/4 balanced output and one channel of 1/8" stereo output

emu-guts-highlight.jpg

Last edited:
I have been using exclusively NE5532 in almost all my projects, mainly musical instrument effects, except as input buffer. I really like it's very musical sound, especially on acoustic instruments. I've already tried & compared it with the following;

TL072/4
OPA2132/4
LM4562
LF353
LM833

yet every time I go back to NE5532! I am quite aware that this is very subjective & my own perceived hearing plays a major part in it. The only problem however is the rather heavy drain on the batteries in virtual ground psu!

So I was wondering if there is an alternative "chip" which sounds similar to NE5532 yet consumes less than half the supply & queiscent current?

Have any you guys compared it with LT1013 or OPA2604? I've actually orderd a few of these two!

Last edited:
....I remember reading somewhere in this forum that op-amps which are rated
at max 15v supply voltage should be actually run at 12-13v! It this true? Is a any noticable difference in sonic/dynamic quality at this lower v?

I am running all my NE5532s circuits @ +/- 15v. Would it prolong the life of the chips if i lowered the supply to 12V instead?

You're using the NE5532 to generate a virtual ground from battery supply? For lower power consumption you could try LM6172 - its not so low noise as 5532 though, but this might not matter given your particular circuit. Its power consumption is about half that of a 5532. But watch out for its bias currents, they're around 10X higher.

To get lower power on batteries you'll probably have to reduce the supply rails. Do you really need the full +/- 15V rails? Going down to say +/- 6V could buy you really big power savings as you could use a part like OPA890 which runs at 1.1mA.

Last edited:
No,the NE5532s are only in the pre amp! I'm using LM317/337 based DC supply atm. Thanks for suggesting LM6172....I will add this to my list.

I initially tried with 1x9v battery in a single supply & the pre amp sounded quite "flat & lifeless! 2x9v lithium batteries in a virtual ground supply sounded much better,but the gain/ dynamic wasn't as good with +/- 12 or 15DC! I should perhaps retry 2 x 9v v.supply through a dc-dc buck booster?

You're right!, I don't really need such high dc supply voltages, However, NE5532 doesn't sound so good below 8v & starts to distort around 6V. There are of course numberous op amps like OPA890, which are designed to work at very low supplies, but I'm after an IC that sounded like "NE5532!

If it sounds considerably worse with single ended supply, firstly check that you got the grounding right. These days I prefer single ended supplies because the decoupling is easier to figure out, based on where currents are flowing. I've found NE5532 can sound good but it depends very much on how free of HF hash its power supplies are, and how well the inputs are protected against RF. LM6172 is more forgiving (better HF PSRR, no LTP input stage) and I expect OPA890 to be similar because its basically the same architecture, though I've not tried it.