The best sounding audio integrated opamps

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member

Attachments

• lost_numbers.jpg
    lost_numbers.jpg
    164.2 KB · Views: 534
lol you have to be stoned out of your mind to believe in op-amp numerology, no offense Andrea..que causa? :D

LOL, I guess you believe that there's nothing serious behind numerology.

Let me remind you of the pythagoreans who thought (or realized) that the universe is regulated by numbers.

Anyway... whatever floats you boat! That's how they say, no? I'm glad that you guys are so self-assured, I wish I could be the same, but... unfortunately I'm not :headbash: because I've got this persistent feeling that earthly things are much more mysterious than our thinking pretends. To put it differently, that we know much less than we think. That's why I prefer not to rationalize all of my experiences, or analyze all of my perceptions... I feel like this very much frees me from the really narrow limits of the rational-analytical mind.

You've got to have an open, elastic mind to realize all these infinite correspondences in life... like, speaking of sensual perceptions, that between vision and hearing. Technically it's called synaesthesia. I've heard that not everyone has this sort of synthetic perception of reality. I'm gad I'm not deprived of it...

And the association between each sonic color and a number is merely the next step in this attitude of discovering the correspondences among things, though I guess that it's very much intolerable for your strict logic. :p I can only say that I've had a very consistent experience of it, so much as to make it my own little unique science! Not just with the opamps eh - this is just a very niche application of a universal principle, if you will...

I guess I'm a naive modern-day pythagorean. :)

Last edited:
well, what if the engineers pick the model numbers randomly?
They sure do: they are totally unaware of the necessary correspondence form <-> function, i.e. (in our matters which are very 'niche' in the order of things) opamp numbers <-> opamp tonality. It's not a human law, it's a universal law, that men, as part of this universe, can only comply to, aware or (more likely) ignorant as they may be.

And surely I wouldn't expect an engineer who designs opamps to be the most enlightened being of mankind... They just do their little thing, and this thing (however artificial an opamp may seem to be) just happens to bear the laws of the universe within itself. When they create it, they must give it a name - a random combination of numbers - and this name defines its identity.

Last edited:
lol, i guess you believe that there's nothing serious behind numerology.

Let me remind you of the pythagoreans who thought (or realized) that the universe is regulated by numbers.

Anyway... Whatever floats you boat! That's how they say, no? I'm glad that you guys are so self-assured, i wish i could be the same, but... Unfortunately i'm not :headbash: Because i've got this persistent feeling that earthly things are much more mysterious than our thinking pretends. To put it differently, that we know much less than we think. That's why i prefer not to rationalize all of my experiences, or analyze all of my perceptions... I feel like this very much frees me from the really narrow limits of the rational-analytical mind.

You've got to have an open, elastic mind to realize all these infinite correspondences in life... Like, speaking of sensual perceptions, that between vision and hearing. Technically it's called synaesthesia. I've heard that not everyone has this sort of synthetic perception of reality. I'm gad i'm not deprived of it...

And the association between each sonic color and a number is merely the next step in this attitude of discovering the correspondences among things, though i guess that it's very much intolerable for your strict logic. :p i can only say that i've had a very consistent experience of it, so much as to make it my own little unique science! Not just with the opamps eh - this is just a very niche application of a universal principle, if you will...

I guess i'm a naive modern-day pythagorean. :)

wtf?

hehe, Andrea..I very much respect your views about op-amps rolling, how to characterize their signature...major kudos my friend!

I also know that some ppl have the ability to match sounds with colors, so ok...fine again :)

but your numerology addiction cracks me up each time, I was actually laughing out loud reading your previous posts :p

1/4/7 are positive, 2/5/8 negative and 3/6/9 neutral...that's what I've always heard I think?

1/4/7 are positive, 2/5/8 are negative and 3/6/9 are neutral...that's what I've always heard I think?
What?

I'm just saying that each prime number has its associated (sonic) color. Actually, I'm not yet clear on the color associated to number 7. This is more mysterious than the others, kind of elusive... Something similar goes for number 1.

Here are my findings so far:

1 = ?

2 = green

3 = yellow

4 = blue

5 = red

6 = white

7 = ??

8 = brown

9 = violet

Note that it's just an approximate summary... you might improve on my findings.

Last edited:
Clearly you must meet two necessary requirements:

- have a synaesthetic perception

- have a perceptive and uninhibited enough mind to link perceived colors to numbers

I don't think you're likely to meet both of them; or you would have had a clue of what I'm talking about from the start. :)

So... let's go back to the things we can all share. :cool: