The best sounding audio integrated opamps

well it doesn't bring vocals upfront at the first row like the LT1364, in that respect vocals are more mixed within the SS...but I'm totally hooked to this severe vocal emphasis anyway ^^

I still rest my case that you need a better DAC/amp w/ more swappable op-amps..I currently use 2 dual op-amps for the -/+ polarities of each channel from the AK4396, one more dual op-amp for bringing the stereo output to line out level, and then one high gain JRC4580 for headphones driving.

there's no way in hell one dual op-amp on its own would give me this SQ, don't expect the impossible..

Would the AK4396 be a better DAC chip than the CS4398? I don't think so.

I have a DVD player (modified) which uses an AK4385 (still 24/192), and it sounds good but doesn't come near my DACs.

I think that the tonal fidelity (the ability to reproduce the natural timbres of sounds) of the CS4398 (and other Crystal DAC chips), coupled with an ability to give a natural weight to sounds, is really hard to match... surely the AK4385 didn't come close in these fields.

For the opamps on the DAC output... well, ideally, less is better! It merely makes the search a bit harder. But give me an LME49723 and I claim myself happy...

all I can say is that it won many awards and has been called the "miracle DAC":

6moons audio reviews: ModWright Transporter
The AK4396 is an entirely new modulator, pioneered and patented by AKM. It achieves something unique. In the past, many of the old Phillips and BurrBrown parts were R-2R* based products. These older products were looked upon as some of the best. One of the reasons was high frequency noise. In older R-2R parts, HF noise

was not present. In all delta-sigma parts prior to the AK4396, everyone has fought HF noise caused from the delta-sigma modulator with the insertion of large filters and other parts to attempt to solve a problem created by the delta-sigma design. The AK4396 today effectively does not suffer any modulator-induced HF noise and is over 60dB better than the nearest Cirrus and BB devices. All of this HF noise can cause many audible artifacts downstream. That is the 'miracle' we believe is making the difference today. This part gives you the performance and linearity of a delta-sigma device with the noise performance of an R-2R part, something that was never previously available
AudiogoN Forums: Hi-fi Wi-fi device
"I have AKM DACs" don't really mean anything. You really need to have the AK4396 because this DAC, being the AKM flagship, is much more advanced than any other AKM DAC. What they have done in the AK4396 is revolutionary in terms of Digital Filtering, Delta Sigma modulator and output stages. This DAC has up to 10 times less out-of-band noise compared to anything similar on the market today

it does sound better than the PCM1792A(64X oversampling by default, and 64X max at 96Khz or more) to me...less op-amp is better, theoritically yes. but I highly doubt than a single LME49723 will give the SQ of 1364+Earth, there's no way in hell it will actually :p

and the JRC4580 is really awesome to drive headphones, in a high gain set up that is.

Last edited:
The Teac Esoteric CD/SACD players and DAC's use either the CS4398 or the AK4397, successor to the AK4396...and now there's the AK4399, 32-bit resolution...

Also, I don't understand your convictions regarding opamps...

When an LT1364 alone corrupts (because it does) the sound more than an LME49723, how could the addition of a further corruption (OPA-Earth) ever improve things...

You're just being lucky that LT1364 and OPA-Earth are accomplishing two opposite forms of corruption that tend to cancel each other... but the loss of transparency in passing through 2 opamp stages can never be restored...

hehe, well I don't need 32bit at this point...besides it's not being used on soundcards yet.

well, I'll compare the 1364 to the 1028acn8/1363 on single>dual DIP8 adapters, time will tell whether these will be any better! I'm not convinced that I have the best combo in the world, maybe I'll prefer Sun V2 over Earth...but so far it still sounds amazing.

well comparing one LME4972x to the LT1364 doesn't make sense to me, especially when the 1364 is amplified by a discrete op-amp afterwards.

"corrupts"? is that a new verb to say "give a hi-fi color"? I've tried the LME49722MA because it carries the lowest THD rate available from National...hahaha, gimme back THD will ya ;)

No no, when I say "corrupts" I mean musically, not measured. I just think that the LME49723 (not the LME49722) sounds better than an LT1364, or an OPA2132P, etc...

That said, I have determined that the LT1028 is what reconciles accuracy and musicality the best so... I hope I can stay with this and not be tempted anymore! :cool::spin:

yes, it's heavily colored...with a CRAZY euphonic sound, the LT1364 should be called the "magic" op-amp :D

ok, looking forward to the LT1028ACN8 then!

well, my current combo plays "The Rolling Stones - Aftermath (Japan.MiniLP) (1966)\01 - Paint It Black.flac" amazingly well, everything's perfect! stereo separation, vocals, bass, drums, sitar :)

Last edited:
you need to try LT1028ACN8 anyway...and you know that ^^

also tried AD8599?

well you need an in-between clinical and colored...I'm very much not looking for that 4972x clinical/dull character.

I very much enjoyed the tubey sound of the OPA2132P as final buffer, the Earth is like an OPA2132P on steroids....some highly detailed slightly tubey sound, perfect to my ears :)

Last edited:
I have already used the LT1028ACN8 in my other DAC (modified DIYEDEN SVDAC05). I also have 2 adapters ready with LT1028AN8 soldered on them... but they don't fit this DAC.

I don't think that the ACN8 sounds better than the CS8... Maybe it sounds better than the CN8? Haven't tried this.

If there isn't a LT1028ACS8, there must be a reason...

Regarding the LME49723, I found it to be more colorful (and resolving) than my 2x OPA132UA. If I had to choose between these, it would be LME49723 both for musicality and for transparency. The OPA132UA seems to impose its own sonic color, sometimes desirably sometimes not - just like, say, the LT1363/4 or the AD823.

well I was talking to an LT rep a few days ago, "A" means higher grade(and majkel said he heard it)...maybe it's so good that it wouldn't fit in a SOIC package :D

you still could use extension leads like on the Audio-GD ;)

did you try AD8599 and AD797BRZ?

yeah, shipping costs are the deal breake for AD chips :(

Last edited:
Of course A means high grade... meaning that it's selected for DC precision. DC precision (so small differences) is irrelevant for audio.

Anyway, if you check the pricing of them, the ACN8 is the costliest, followed by the CS8 followed at a distance by the CN8. I think I saw this at digikey.

The AD797ANZ (I used it in the SVDAC05) is nice but the LT1028, whether CS8 or ACN8, is better for me... kind of more crystal clear.

At any rate, the often mistreated LME49710NA is still sounding just fine in my SVDAC05. The final choice (for the opamp to solder in it after having removed sockets) was between LT1028ACN8 and LME49710NA, and I went with the latter because, I don't know, there it seemed to be better.

Instead, guess what... the LT1028CS8 sounds better in my other CS4398 DAC (modified 2009 Super Pro 707) than the LME49720NA and HA. Mysteries... Well actually it's a hard choice with the LME49720HA. But... to me the LT1028CS8 is less 'audible'.

BTW it's interesting how the LT1028CS8 sounds just like a more refined OPA827.

Last edited:
Actually you should do 4x LT1028 and 2x AD797, since the LT1028 with its low bias current will put less stress on the DAC's outputs than the AD797 would. In change the AD797 having 50 mA of output current will do well as a final buffer.

BTW, been listening and A/B comparing my two DACs, one with the LT1028CS8 (@12V), the other with the LME49710NA (@+/-15V)...

Both are very very nice sounding, a little bit different but both great...

One thing you can clearly hear as a difference is in bass performance: the LT1028 "kicks" more obviously, whereas the LME49710NA bass is a bit round (the British would love it).

Also a bit different sounding are the mids... more dark and smoothed out in the LME49710NA, more articulate in the LT1028CS8. Also the tonality is a bit different, but both are quite enjoyable..

well, do you still have the Audio-GD HDAM around? borrow whatever source that can run 2*2 op-amps and play around!

or get a stock Prodigy HD2 on ebay or sumthing...it's not because they suck in your ZeroDAC or modded standalone player, that you should rule them out IMO.

in the right set up, they sound fantastic...but boring, so they need to be fed w/ something colored like the 1364, and why not AD797B/1028ACN8/1363 etc etc

they are like the ultimate amp...feed them well and they will reward you w/ premium SQ...they sound like a VERY expensive audiophile set up, not very good as I/V but most fantastic as final buffer after I/V.

many ppl put discrete op-amps on my soundcard(that feeds the op-amps w/ ±8.8V), there's a very good reason for that:

BURSON AUDIO PCI sound card Prodigy HD2 amended 192kHz/24bit

Burson Audio / Gooi PC's modified Audiotrak Prodigy HD2 Burson Audio

and the high gain JRC4580 on the headphones out goes after those 3 op-amps...it gives a fantastic bass response!

if you like external gear better, a friend of mine bought this: HA INFO NG27 - Headphone Amplifier USB - iPod - PCM2702 DAC

he loves it w/ an OPA2132P! it sounds better than the Asus STX to his ears...and he will put 2*AD797BN if I ever manage to locate some.

restricting your rolling to only one dual op-amp is a waste of time IMHO.

Last edited: