The best sounding audio integrated opamps - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th October 2009, 06:47 AM   #21
ratza is offline ratza  Romania
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrea: View Post
Is noise really so very important? I personally don't listen to the background hiss with no music playing and the amp's volume set at max.

It would be kind of like smelling a car's exhaust
Kind of I listen jazz during the night sometimes and I hate to have any background noise. Those opamps are exactly what I needed. In my system I use a gain knob with which I can select one of the following:
- direct input in final stage (through volume pot);
- 10x attenuation (180k in series with 22k pot's input pin);
- 4.1 amplified and buffered signal through preamplfier.

SoNic_real_one, that NJMs is nowhere near OPA2134's performace. BTW, do you speak romanian by any chance?
Old 30th October 2009, 07:42 AM   #22
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by janneman View Post
It also makes a lot of difference whether you have an inverting (virtual earth) or non-inverting circuit. Some opamps do well in inverting circuits but when faced with higher common mode input in an non-inverting circuit they do much worse. You can't generalize without knowing the application. I mean, you can, but that then means that someone else can have completely different results than you because it is another app.

jd
I fully agree with janneman on this... I have found the inverting configuration to generally have better sonics, particularly when the op amp is correctly compensated and applied.

As to which opamp... I still like the OPA604 for it's "musicality" but I guess that is a personal choice. The distortion spectrum seems "pleasing" to the ears... mine anyway.

Peranders.... nice link re the pdf

Last edited by Mooly; 30th October 2009 at 07:56 AM.
Old 30th October 2009, 08:00 AM   #23
Banned

I agree about the OPA604. I haven't lived long with this, but it keeps being a good choice. Not LT1028-good though...

Of course (when talking about noise) I was starting from the fact that common audio opamps all have a low noise floor... really it has never happened to me to hear any background noise with the music playing, not even on headphones!! An inflated, overrated problem!?
Old 30th October 2009, 08:04 AM   #24
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooly View Post
Peranders.... nice link re the pdf
That's exactly the measurement shootout I was mentioning before. Great information, but in the end it's only half of the story - at best. I'd say only about a quarter, personally.

For instance... the LT1363 (or dual LT1364) gets trashed there, but it sounds quite good when it's not oscillating..
Old 30th October 2009, 08:17 AM   #25
diyAudio Moderator

Hi Andrea,
Agree about the noise too. For line level inputs it's pretty much a "non issue" and a bit of white noise, tape hiss on older recordings etc doesn't distract from the musical performance... in fact it can add a "nice" bloom to the sound, I believe it helps the ear resolve low level detail better, almost like dithering a digital signal.

My goal for audio is to have a system that reproduces the majority of music well, not a system that has to have "certain demonstaration" CD's etc played to sound any good.
Old 30th October 2009, 08:40 AM   #26
Banned

Oh yeah, absolutely. Demonstration CD's = audiophile nonsense.

BTW, that test doesn't even tell you that the opamp with the most perfect measured performance is clearly the best sounding... see the OPA211. I couldn't live with it, I just wouldn't enjoy music like I used to do. I preferred LT1028 (ACN8 and CS8) to OPA211 in 2 different DAC's.

Or compare the OPA132UA to the OPA827: with similar measured distortion (well referring to the OPA2132), does that very thorough measurement let you in any way expect that the OPA132UA sounds far more musical?

OPA132UA which sounds quite a bit more transparent than the dual OPA2132P, while retaining the musicality, BTW.
Old 30th October 2009, 08:49 AM   #27
Banned

Or... does that measurement possibly suggest that the OPA-Earth's distortion takes the form of a perceptible sort-of saturation with vocals (and anything belonging in the midrange), whereas the LT1363's takes that of a creamy and pleasing midrange smoothness similar to tube sound? Bah
Old 30th October 2009, 09:49 AM   #28
Banned

Anyway, all those who haven't heard the LT1028 yet should try it... I've determined that it's the most honestly transparent of all I only wonder how the OPA1611 should sound (need new browndogs).
Old 30th October 2009, 12:34 PM   #29
Banned

On that line I also like the LME49720HA and the LME49723, which can sound quite pleasant and vivid, yet mostly transparent; but at the end of the day the LT1028 is the most impartial (rigorous).
Old 30th October 2009, 12:44 PM   #30
diyAudio Moderator

Unless a given circuit is specifically designed for a specific OpAmp it's not always a fair test to just swap them around.
Each OpAmp and application has to be optimised first. Then listen

Hide this!Advertise here!