The best sounding audio integrated opamps - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th October 2009, 04:18 PM   #11
Banned

peranders, whether the circuit is fully optimised or not, every opamp has (and keeps) its own unique sonic flavor. Those I have listed are my favorite flavors, i.e. those which I find to make me enjoy my music the most.

adason, I don't like tubes and I find they even less desirable than opamps. Have you ever tried, say, an LT1028? Things can hardly get more transparent...

Something similar for the LME49720HA, i.e. the TO99 package of it which sounds a lot more interesting than the plastic package. In plastic package I prefer the LME49723 to the LME49720.
Old 29th October 2009, 05:42 PM   #12
Ted205 is offline Ted205  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrea: View Post
peranders, whether the circuit is fully optimised or not, every opamp has (and keeps) its own unique sonic flavor. Those I have listed are my favorite flavors, i.e. those which I find to make me enjoy my music the most.

adason, I don't like tubes and I find they even less desirable than opamps. Have you ever tried, say, an LT1028? Things can hardly get more transparent...

Something similar for the LME49720HA, i.e. the TO99 package of it which sounds a lot more interesting than the plastic package. In plastic package I prefer the LME49723 to the LME49720.

have you tried the LM4562 to compare. I've read that its even better in the metal can (LM4562HA/NOPB).
Old 29th October 2009, 06:04 PM   #13
Electrons are yellow and more is better!
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrea: View Post
peranders, whether the circuit is fully optimised or not, every opamp has (and keeps) its own unique sonic flavor.
Yes, but for example JFET opamps suffers from increased distortion when the inputs see different impedances so if you use a JFET opamp in for example a active filter, you will get more distortion than from a BJT model, unless you are aware about this compensate. Walt Jung has written a good piece about this.
Old 29th October 2009, 06:13 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peranders View Post
Yes, but for example JFET opamps suffers from increased distortion when the inputs see different impedances so if you use a JFET opamp in for example a active filter, you will get more distortion than from a BJT model, unless you are aware about this compensate. Walt Jung has written a good piece about this.
It also makes a lot of difference whether you have an inverting (virtual earth) or non-inverting circuit. Some opamps do well in inverting circuits but when faced with higher common mode input in an non-inverting circuit they do much worse. You can't generalize without knowing the application. I mean, you can, but that then means that someone else can have completely different results than you because it is another app.

jd
Old 29th October 2009, 06:28 PM   #15
Electrons are yellow and more is better!
diyAudio Member

http://www.sg-acoustics.ch/analogue_...distortion.pdf
Huge file, huge pile of measurements!
We are talking about 436 pages. A masterpiece. Check out his test rig for this!

Last edited by peranders; 29th October 2009 at 06:33 PM.
Old 29th October 2009, 08:05 PM   #16
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by janneman View Post
It also makes a lot of difference whether you have an inverting (virtual earth) or non-inverting circuit. Some opamps do well in inverting circuits but when faced with higher common mode input in an non-inverting circuit they do much worse. You can't generalize without knowing the application. I mean, you can, but that then means that someone else can have completely different results than you because it is another app.

jd
I'm aware of these facts, the way FET opamps distort more with higher input impedances, and the other problem of opamps behaving differently in inverting and noninverting mode.

However, for the first, a V-out DAC output buffer application makes this problem nonexistent; as to the second, for me an audio opamp has to sound good mostly in noninverting mode (such as in my DAC), or it's worth looking elsewhere...

Oh, at any rate, I wanted to mention that I find the LME49723 to be more transparent (tonally as well) than the 2x OPA132UA, and more dynamic, notwithstanding its low cost. So... I guess that the good bipolar opamps always tend to outperform the good FET opamps for me and in an even situation (as above).

I have used the LME4562NA but recently I have found the LME49723MA to sound significantly better... I would like to try the LM4562HA too.
Old 29th October 2009, 08:33 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratza View Post
Andrea: thank you for informations. I'm using a OPA2134 based preamplifier and the sound transparency is great.
For an analog preamplifier there are some slighty better ones, with lower noise voltage that 1.2 uV (NJM2068 for exemple). I/V stagewoluld be a better application for it since it has slew rate of 20V/us and 1us settling time.

Bafta.
Old 29th October 2009, 08:49 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoNic_real_one View Post
For an analog preamplifier there are some slighty better ones, with lower noise voltage that 1.2 uV (NJM2068 for exemple). I/V stagewoluld be a better application for it since it has slew rate of 20V/us and 1us settling time.

Bafta.
Which one is that that has slew rate of 20V/us and 1us settling time?
Are you saying that this sounds well in an I/V application?

jd
Old 29th October 2009, 08:53 PM   #19
Banned

Is noise really so very important? I personally don't listen to the background hiss with no music playing and the amp's volume set at max.

It would be kind of like smelling a car's exhaust
Old 29th October 2009, 11:06 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Well, you have to, unless you are listening only to the forte passages of a song or to music that is very compressed in dynamics. In other words if you don't need all the 16-24 bits recorded...
PS: If noise is not important, what's next? Distorssion, slew rate, unitary gain freq? A LM741 will suffice, I guess...

Last edited by SoNic_real_one; 29th October 2009 at 11:13 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!