Break in time for Black Gate Caps?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Forever!

Martin Colloms noted improvements after one year of 'burn in' and so have I, I really dont think you can evaluate BG sound quality until you've burned them in for 3 months, the 100 hour figure so often quoted is not actually burn in time, more like 'starting to operate' time, or as another BG fan puts it 'Activation time' Jelmax term this 'idling time'

RC

If a component takes a year to sound it's best then that component hasn't been very well designed at all... to put it VERY mildly! Especially if you have to leave the gear on 24/7. Not good for cap. longevity not to mention the environment.

Perhaps I'm impatient or something, but I'd rather by listening to my equipment performing at its best within a week at the very most. Preferably a lot less. I have been down the Black Gate N route, but realised I was spending all my music listening time listening to the sound of caps breaking in, rather than the music itself...

...and if you have a power cut or something you have to start the process all over again! Crazyness!

However each to his/her own. :)

Wait, you're calling mine useless ? Yours is quite possibly more.....:spin:

Personally, I cannot tell the difference in the "sound" of power supply caps. Do they alter the power somehow ? Is the ripple rejection of such a vast difference between cap brands.....that it is audible ?

I admit, I use quality caps, but for longevity and reliability purposes.....to do their energy-storage job. I replace the 'lytics in aging equipment. Several times I have eliminated hum/hiss from older gear by changing the electrolytic caps to fresh ones.

5 identical amps (one with 6 month "broken-in" caps, four with "spankin-new" caps):
...... could you reliably pick out the odd amp out ?

=RR=

Wait, you're calling mine useless ? Yours is quite possibly more.....:spin:

Personally, I cannot tell the difference in the "sound" of power supply caps. Do they alter the power somehow ? Is the ripple rejection of such a vast difference between cap brands.....that it is audible ?

I admit, I use quality caps, but for longevity and reliability purposes.....to do their energy-storage job. I replace the 'lytics in aging equipment. Several times I have eliminated hum/hiss from older gear by changing the electrolytic caps to fresh ones.

5 identical amps (one with 6 month "broken-in" caps, four with "spankin-new" caps):
...... could you reliably pick out the odd amp out ?

=RR=

Well if I am one of those (deaf) people that believe that Bose speakers sound good.....in that case the answer is NO. You have to Listen to the music NOT hear the music....BIG difference buddy!

I'll give anyone $200 dollars if they can pick the odd amp out, reliably.
Sorry for the low figure, economy and all.....but I am making sure I can actually pay-up, if this hogwash is true.
Better yet, take this over to the JREF forum , along with the audible cables, power cord disputes, and claim your million dollars.

If you can prove this, I will burn-in all my caps with fire breathing dragons, or munchkins on tricycle generators ...if that's what it takes.

=RR=

I'll give anyone $200 dollars if they can pick the odd amp out, reliably.
Sorry for the low figure, economy and all.....but I am making sure I can actually pay-up, if this hogwash is true.
Better yet, take this over to the JREF forum , along with the audible cables, power cord disputes, and claim your million dollars.

If you can prove this, I will burn-in all my caps with fire breathing dragons, or munchkins on tricycle generators ...if that's what it takes.

=RR=

Are you saying that all caps are the same and there are no differences in sound quality?. Because if you are....Wow I have put a lot money in the trash!.With all the money I have spent in my caps like Mundorf and Black Gate fk caps I could buy like hundreds of "regular" electrolytic caps costing $1.50 or so. What a waist of money!.shame on me!

You are wasting your words redrabbit - people believe what they believe, best to leave them alone with that.
;)

Well,This is like when people think all speakers sound the same (Do they? lol).
Maybe is because "some people" can NOT hear well and if they can not hear well.....How can they "listen to music" and differentiate from good to bad?. By the way I do not have problems with my hearing (Thanks god).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.