looking to buy gainclone or tripath type amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
OK, so I'm a n00b. But I've decided to build a gainclone/tripath amp this christmas, after using a 41hz Amp6 that a friend of mine built for a few months and being absolutely blown away. I want to build a 41hz amp or a gainclone but I can't decide what I want to build, or if i'd even be able to build what i want to build, due to how many factors there are and the widely varying and huge range of opinions.

So basically, I'm thinking I'd rather just buy an amp that one of you pro's has made. I'm still gonna buy a basic kit and build one so I can start getting experience and work from there, but what's more important is that I have an amp I'm absolutely happy with in the mean time. If it doesn't have EVERYTHING I need (which I would prefer), like a power supply, then you need to tell me exactly what it would work best with and direct me to where I can buy it.

It needs to be significantly more powerful than the Amp6 (listed as 4ohm/25 watts, or 8ohm/15 watts). This thing gets way louder than I'd expect for such numbers, but it's not enough, especially because I like powerful bass.

The speakers I'm using are a custom build I bought off a hobbyist who was moving. Custom 5-ply birch cabinets (top/bottom/sides), 3/4" mdf(/hdf?) front/rear, rear-ported. 15" RTR woofers (not sure if theres more than one model/revision), large horn mids, and ribbon tweeters. I don't know the models of the mids/tweeters but I can get pics. They're quite good though, and he said sought them out specifically for the project, going to great lengths to get these specific models. I know the ribbons came from Japan.

I haven't measured the resistance of these speakers, but I suspect may vary greatly across the bandwidth (simply because of the different speaker types involved), so keep that in mind (4 ohm safe at x-voltage). If you want driver specs (i.e. front and back pictures of each) then I'll get those ASAP.

I like the descriptions of LM3886 amps, that is "musical" "warm", not harsh in the high end, but I'd prefer not to lose any detail or dynamics like some people claim the 3886 lacks over the 3875, or 1875 for instance. I understand that more complex or well-tweaked or well-powered designs can negate some of the supposed downsides mentioned. My favorite things about the Amp6 were the level of detail, the incredibly dynamics, and the extra wide soundstage that seemed to stretch past each speakers physical location. They literally create a wall of sound... they sound 20 feet tall.
I definitely want all of these things in an amp. If anything the high end could be a bit better. By that I mean tamer, or less harsh or cutting. Could be my interconnect. I've tried it with and without the EQ that I use in the signal path, so it's not that. The high-high end is good... it's just maybe the 6-10khz range that could be be less fatiguing.

Price range I'm looking at is 100-200 USD including shipping (to Tucson Arizona 85710).

So please, if anyone has any chip amps they've enjoyed or are proud of (not something you want to "get rid of") but don't need/want, or if you just have recommendations on what the best route to go would be based on the info provided, please post them here and describe them and any mods you've done. Thanks!

OK, so I'm a n00b. But I've decided to build a gainclone/tripath amp this christmas, after using a 41hz Amp6 that a friend of mine built for a few months and being absolutely blown away.

Why not ask your friend? He knows you and has built one.

But if you are totally new, get in some soldering practice and avoid anything with SMD parts for your first build.

Gainclone or Tripath? That's honestly down to personal taste in how you like your music.

All the other questions that you ask have been answered before.

If you are starting out in DIY hi-fi, may I suggest that you look at:

Decibel Dungeon DIY hi-fi index. ;)

Umm thanks nuuk =P. I've browsed this and other forums quite a bit, it's not always easy to find what you're looking for. Unfortunately the link you provided me with is not working for me =/.

I'm actually pretty good at soldering... I just don't know much about the circuit designs or how to understand the diagrams. I could handle building a relatively simple through-hole amp for sure (like something from chipamp.com or audiosector.com, or a simple 41hz amp)... but do SMD based amps (especially Tripath/41hz designs) sound better than their through-hole counterparts? I don't want to build a through-hole 41hz amp if it's fundamentally flawed over an SMD type one.

It is "horses for courses".
The tripaths are nice and the smaller Amp6 is relatively easy to make.
The sound is best when you go the whole hog and get the Amp6 not the Amp6basic, Ive made and tested both.
Ive made several Gainclones and of the 3 LM3875, LM3886 and LM4870 Id go for the LM3875 every time.
They look easier until you come to the grounding. There is plenty of help on this site for that.
Good luck and have fun
Steve

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.