What to use for TO-220 isolating pad?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
What are you guys using to isolate your wide TO-220 packages like the LM3875?

Checking stores, all I can find are the thin flexible TO-3 pads (wrong shape) or the thick aluminum oxide for narrow TO-220 (too narrow).

Is there something more specific out there which I can't find?

How crazy would it be to drill 2 more holes in the 3875 and just use 3 TO-220 insulators?

Joined 2003
Paid Member
How crazy would it be to drill 2 more holes in the 3875 and just use 3 TO-220 insulators?
The ultimate in DIY!!! It would be like drilling holes in ones brain to fasten its head before going under a scanner. :dead: :clown: :cannotbe:

There are silpads available in larger formats (100x100mm) which you can cut into the desired format. Your local supplier must be able to provide them.
This for example: http://www.angliac.com/product_search/product_range/datasheet_search/cat_page.asp?cat_number=500

/Hugo ;)

I'm using TO-220 aluminum oxide pads under LM1875. It works fine and sounds better than silpads (less damping, I guess, results in more airy sound).

Peter, do you mean just the regular narrow TO-220 pads? So you are experiencing no issues with having some of the LM3875 mounting surface not in contact with the pad? If so, I would love to hear it!

leadbelly said:

Peter, do you mean just the regular narrow TO-220 pads? So you are experiencing no issues with having some of the LM3875 mounting surface not in contact with the pad? If so, I would love to hear it!

Peter was talking LM1875 which is in TO-220. LM3875 is in 11 pin MultiWatt which is small enough to fit on a TO-3P (not TO-3) pad. To use TO-220 pads under a LM3875 seems pointless since TO-3P are readily available. The MultiWatt size is hard to come by and the only place I've seen it is Schuro.

I got everything mixed up. I meant LM3875 and TO-247 pads pictured below. They measure 14 x 19.5mm and I think are sold indeed as TO-220, but fit TO 247 and are the same as TO-3 P (I guess). The sides of a chip are sticking out a bit, but I didn't have any problems because of that so far. I really like to use those aluminum oxide pads here, as I said before, they sound better and provide extra clearance between heatsink and pins for a feedback resistor.

Attachments

• al.jpg
    al.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 774
Peter Daniel said:
Plastc screw is OK when not much pressure is required (diodes), but on ICs and transistors, I'm using metal screw (non magnetic) and a plastic washer (I buy from Supremetronic).

Are those plastic washer are just normal flat ones, I am concern about the shaft of the screw may make contact with the inside surface of the heat sink thru hole. May be I have to use heat shrink on the screw first?

Since TO-220s normally run around 1W dissipation or thereabouts, I normally just use a simple bolt on heatsink like a THD6080 and don't even bother with insulation. This improves thermal coupling, and since the heatsink is small anyway you can usually tolerate it being at collector potential.

Cheers,

Hugh

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.