diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Chip Amps (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/chip-amps/)
-   -   Compact Sized LME49810/11 +ThermalTrak Amp (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/chip-amps/153511-compact-sized-lme49810-11-thermaltrak-amp.html)

panson_hk 17th October 2009 11:47 PM

Compact Sized LME49810/11 +ThermalTrak Amp

2 Attachment(s)
Hi everyone,

This is my new 49810/49811 + ThermalTrak Amp intended for low output power (Class-AB/B, <= 60 W). Output stage is driver + emitter follower. I have not put the heatsink for LME and driver (too noisy to do metal work in the midnight).

klewis 19th October 2009 04:40 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Panson,

I got both my Leach bais configuration and Cordell bais configuration for thermal trak working. The Cordell is tweaked a bit from his diagram - I decided to simulate both schemes to see how they react to temperature.
The values shown were adjusted to 2.93v at 27deg c. Then I changed the simulation temperature to 68deg c and ran it again. You can see that the Cordell version stays closer to the baseline Vbe which assumes that the Vbe transistor has a perfect thermal connection to the output transistors.

Ken

panson_hk 19th October 2009 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by klewis (Post 1953745)
Panson,

I got both my Leach bais configuration and Cordell bais configuration for thermal trak working. The Cordell is tweaked a bit from his diagram - I decided to simulate both schemes to see how they react to temperature.
The values shown were adjusted to 2.93v at 27deg c. Then I changed the simulation temperature to 68deg c and ran it again. You can see that the Cordell version stays closer to the baseline Vbe which assumes that the Vbe transistor has a perfect thermal connection to the output transistors.

Ken

Hi Ken,

Nice work! Have you tested the bias control in real circuit?

klewis 19th October 2009 04:02 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by panson_hk (Post 1953939)
Hi Ken,

Nice work! Have you tested the bias control in real circuit?

Panson,

Yes, using your modular approach, I now have three boards, the LME49811, with DC Servo, a board for the bias resistors, and the output board which contains the VBE transistor, predrivers, drivers and Thermal trak output devices. I put jumpers at the T Trak so that I can use either two, three or four of them in series. I had to make some mods to the driver board to go from the Leach bias scheme to the Cordell scheme. The photo shows the Cordell scheme. Note that I had to put pairs or resistors in series to get the correct resistance. Seems you never have the right stuff on hand regardless of biweekly DigiKey and Mouser orders...

My shop computer with the highend sound card died, so, no THD tests for a few weeks. But, played it with both bais schemes and it sounds great, also, sine and square waves look smooth and clean on the scope.

Ken

panson_hk 28th October 2009 06:11 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The amp is in operation. I am going to put them in a case.

panson_hk 3rd November 2009 02:31 PM

Playing Santana CD

One set of compact amp is setting in the lab for daily use. It is now playing Santana YouTube - PansonAudio's Channel

The operating voltage is +/- 35 V. The speaker is NHT SuperTwo (http://www.stereophile.com/floorloudspeakers/1099nht/).

klewis 3rd November 2009 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by panson_hk (Post 1968745)
One set of compact amp is setting in the lab for daily use. It is now playing Santana YouTube - PansonAudio's Channel

The operating voltage is +/- 35 V. The speaker is NHT SuperTwo (Stereophile: NHT SuperTwo loudspeaker).

Panson,

Nice little video, made me smile. I also looked at the cross over distortion video. I presume that you are showing the bais trimming out the distortion. Is this measured just with the scope? Or how do you set up for this measurement?

Thanks

Ken

panson_hk 4th November 2009 12:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by klewis (Post 1968820)
Panson,

Nice little video, made me smile. I also looked at the cross over distortion video. I presume that you are showing the bais trimming out the distortion. Is this measured just with the scope? Or how do you set up for this measurement?

Thanks

Ken

Ken,

Yes, it is. The cross-over waveform is the THD residual from the AP output (after the notch filter).

Panson

klewis 4th November 2009 01:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by panson_hk (Post 1969297)
Ken,

Yes, it is. The cross-over waveform is the THD residual from the AP output (after the notch filter).

Panson

Well, I guess I won't be doing that anytime soon...

PeterLeest 4th November 2009 01:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by panson_hk (Post 1969297)
Ken,

Panson

What is the bias current to get the optimum result ?