Compact Sized LME49810/11 +ThermalTrak Amp

Output inductor & Zobel network

Hi panson
A question about using your compact amplifiers inside active speakers. One amp to each element.

Is it really necessary to use those inductors and Zobel network when the connections between amplifier and speaker is only about 10 inch?
The answer is maybe the same for any other typical audio endstage?

Last edited:
Hi panson
A question about using your compact amplifiers inside active speakers. One amp to each element.

Is it really necessary to use those inductors and Zobel network when the connections between amplifier and speaker is only about 10 inch?
The answer is maybe the same for any other typical audio endstage?

Hi Radioman,

As AndrewT you need to take care of voice-coil inductance. However, cable effect is negligible for direct connection. I would recommend to have those parts to avoid problem in this part.

New Compact 4981x ThermalTrak board being made

I revised the schematic to include Vbe multiplier, two-pole compensation and ThermalTrak diode current by-pass. We now have many things to try!!!

The new board is being made. Here is the new schematic.

Attachments

• Compact 4981x TT Sch rev2p1.JPG
    Compact 4981x TT Sch rev2p1.JPG
    266.1 KB · Views: 1,462
I revised the schematic to include Vbe multiplier, two-pole compensation and ThermalTrak diode current by-pass. We now have many things to try!!!

The new board is being made. Here is the new schematic.

Dear Panson.

What is your reason to add the VBE transistor? My understanding was that the benefit of the Thermaltraks was that you don't need a VBE transistor anymore.

With kind regards,
Bas

Dear Panson.

What is your reason to add the VBE transistor? My understanding was that the benefit of the Thermaltraks was that you don't need a VBE transistor anymore.

With kind regards,
Bas

Hi Bas,

Good question! This is added for user to compare different bias schemes. I want users to have more fun with the new board. We can do simple bias with solely TT diodes, conventional Vbe without using TT diodes, Leach like Vbe with TT diodes, etc.

Cheers,
Panson

Hi Bas,

Good question! This is added for user to compare different bias schemes. I want users to have more fun with the new board. We can do simple bias with solely TT diodes, conventional Vbe without using TT diodes, Leach like Vbe with TT diodes, etc.

Cheers,
Panson

Thank you Panson. Ever have plans to develop a huge class A variant?

With kind regards,
Bas

balanced input?

Hi has anyone tried balanced input?

Even if it's a driver IC with two inputs I want some hints how to best connect it as a balanced input amplifier. Mostly to take advantage of my Behringer three way active filter, arriving this week. :)
The ground connection isn't important in my active speaker project so I may have no worries? :)

New boads back and tested. Super performance!!!

The new boards are back from the PCB house today. I just assembled one for LME49811 with single-pole cap = 22 pF. The performance is super!!! The THD+N for 1 kHz 50 W into 8 Ohm is 0.00053 %.

Attachments

• THD+N vs power 1kHz tone 8 Ohm.JPG
    THD+N vs power 1kHz tone 8 Ohm.JPG
    270.4 KB · Views: 1,276
  • IMGP2993.JPG
    IMGP2993.JPG
    93.2 KB · Views: 1,251