Compact Sized LME49810/11 +ThermalTrak Amp - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 4th November 2009, 01:02 PM   #11
diyAudio Member
 
panson_hk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Blog Entries: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterLeest View Post
What is the bias current to get the optimum result ?
Peter,

I have some more data which should be able to answer your question. The output waveform (1W/8Ohm) and THD residual are monitored for various bias levels. FFT of the residuals are also shown in the figure.

You can see very large spikes of cross-over distortion for zero bias. When the bias current is 50 mA per device, the cross-over distortion is reduced substantially (notice the vertical scale). At 100 mA bias level, we see no more cross-over distortion. The distortion is mainly contributed by 3rd harmonic.

I use 0.22 Ohm emitter resistors (Re) for the output devices. The voltage drop is 22 mV. Optimum Vq (2 Re drop) for EF is 42 mV, as given in Self's book. Here is 44 mV, more less the same. This is the optimum value.

Panson
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cross-Over Distortion zero bias.JPG (103.7 KB, 2116 views)
File Type: jpg Cross-Over Distortion bias 50mA.JPG (111.9 KB, 1966 views)
File Type: jpg Cross-Over Distortion bias 100mA.JPG (120.3 KB, 1926 views)
File Type: jpg FFT of residual vs bias level.JPG (93.1 KB, 1901 views)
  Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2009, 07:48 PM   #12
traw is offline traw  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Looks like have drivers... mje15030/31?

Quick question, how does one know or determine right size resistor that is often strung betweeen the emitter's of the top and bottom driver, before it feeds the gate resistors?

What happens if not have in place?... sorry for off topic, but cannot find much info about creating driver. Wish to run 3-4 parallel mosfets.

In an1645 doc they show a 100ohm but tied to output rather than to other driver emitter.
  Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2009, 09:41 PM   #13
diyAudio Member
 
panson_hk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Blog Entries: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by traw View Post
Looks like have drivers... mje15030/31?

Quick question, how does one know or determine right size resistor that is often strung betweeen the emitter's of the top and bottom driver, before it feeds the gate resistors?

What happens if not have in place?... sorry for off topic, but cannot find much info about creating driver. Wish to run 3-4 parallel mosfets.

In an1645 doc they show a 100ohm but tied to output rather than to other driver emitter.
Yes, the drivers are 15030/31.

That resistor value can be determined by how much standing is going to pass the driver transistors. I have 1.226 V across 180 Ohm. Hence, the driver bias current is 6.8 mA. The voltage drop across this resistor together with the emitter resistors of output devices sets the output bias current. You simply can't without it.

You can find some information from this link regarding Leach Amp The Leach Amp - Output Stage. Look for R34, 35, 36.

The driver design in AN1645 is something like Darlington.
  Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2009, 07:51 AM   #14
diyAudio Member
 
panson_hk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Blog Entries: 10
Default Output resistance

I measured the output resistance. Output circuit output voltage was set to 10 Vrms, 1 kHz. The AP recorded the output level without loading from 10 Hz to 50 kHz. The output level was then measured again for 8 Ohms and 4 Ohms load. The amplifier output resistance is estimated by using the measured data. The measured was repeated for output level set to 20 V rms, unloaded.

It can be seen that the output resistance in audio band is below 20 mOhms. Damping factor, ignoring cable effect, is > 400 for 8 Ohms.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg output resistance.JPG (77.8 KB, 1802 views)

Last edited by panson_hk; 13th November 2009 at 07:53 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2009, 06:58 PM   #15
klewis is offline klewis  United States
diyAudio Member
 
klewis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Blog Entries: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by panson_hk View Post
Peter,

I have some more data which should be able to answer your question. The output waveform (1W/8Ohm) and THD residual are monitored for various bias levels. FFT of the residuals are also shown in the figure.

You can see very large spikes of cross-over distortion for zero bias. When the bias current is 50 mA per device, the cross-over distortion is reduced substantially (notice the vertical scale). At 100 mA bias level, we see no more cross-over distortion. The distortion is mainly contributed by 3rd harmonic.

I use 0.22 Ohm emitter resistors (Re) for the output devices. The voltage drop is 22 mV. Optimum Vq (2 Re drop) for EF is 42 mV, as given in Self's book. Here is 44 mV, more less the same. This is the optimum value.

Panson
  Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2009, 07:15 PM   #16
klewis is offline klewis  United States
diyAudio Member
 
klewis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Blog Entries: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by panson_hk View Post
Peter,

I have some more data which should be able to answer your question. The output waveform (1W/8Ohm) and THD residual are monitored for various bias levels. FFT of the residuals are also shown in the figure.

You can see very large spikes of cross-over distortion for zero bias. When the bias current is 50 mA per device, the cross-over distortion is reduced substantially (notice the vertical scale). At 100 mA bias level, we see no more cross-over distortion. The distortion is mainly contributed by 3rd harmonic.

I use 0.22 Ohm emitter resistors (Re) for the output devices. The voltage drop is 22 mV. Optimum Vq (2 Re drop) for EF is 42 mV, as given in Self's book. Here is 44 mV, more less the same. This is the optimum value.

Panson
Oops, let me try again...

Panson, I could really use your help. My amp is running, sounds great, makes nice sine and square waves at 1k, 10k and 20k hz. So, I can't for the life of me measure the voltage drop across Re. Here's how I'm set up for the measurement: power on, input shorted, DMM probes set at emmitter of pnp and npn output transisitors, reading is 0v. If I put the probe at the emmitter of either transistor and ground, I get .006v, at the base of either transistor I get .475v.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Ken
  Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2009, 07:01 AM   #17
diyAudio Member
 
panson_hk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Blog Entries: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by klewis View Post
Oops, let me try again...

Panson, I could really use your help. My amp is running, sounds great, makes nice sine and square waves at 1k, 10k and 20k hz. So, I can't for the life of me measure the voltage drop across Re. Here's how I'm set up for the measurement: power on, input shorted, DMM probes set at emmitter of pnp and npn output transisitors, reading is 0v. If I put the probe at the emmitter of either transistor and ground, I get .006v, at the base of either transistor I get .475v.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Ken
Ken,

Are you using Leah triple output stage and Vbe multiplier? Based on your values, I believe the output transistors do not turn on. Can you measure base-to-emitter voltage? the base to emitter should be above 0.5 V when the device is active. What is the bias voltage generated by the Vbe multiplier? Do you have a potentiometer for bias level trimming? When you measured, was the output connected to a speaker, float or a dummy load (8Ohms)?

Panson
  Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2009, 01:59 PM   #18
klewis is offline klewis  United States
diyAudio Member
 
klewis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Blog Entries: 36
Panson,

In the process of cleaning up my schematic so that I could put measure voltages on it for posting, I think I found an error. I will fix the error and see what happens.

Ken
  Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2009, 02:11 PM   #19
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Scottish Borders
Quote:
Originally Posted by klewis View Post
DMM probes set at emmitter of pnp and npn output transisitors, reading is 0v. If I put the probe at the emmitter of either transistor and ground, I get .006v, at the base of either transistor I get .475v.
the voltage acros one Vbe should be +ve and the other should be -ve.
You say both are 0.475Vdc is either -ve or both +ve.

Measure from emitter to emitter of the output pair.
Measure from base to base of the output pair.
Measure from base to base of the driver pair.
__________________
regards Andrew T.
  Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2009, 07:37 PM   #20
diyAudio Member
 
jan.didden's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Great City of Turnhout, Belgium
Blog Entries: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by klewis View Post
Oops, let me try again...

Panson, I could really use your help. My amp is running, sounds great, makes nice sine and square waves at 1k, 10k and 20k hz. So, I can't for the life of me measure the voltage drop across Re. Here's how I'm set up for the measurement: power on, input shorted, DMM probes set at emmitter of pnp and npn output transisitors, reading is 0v. If I put the probe at the emmitter of either transistor and ground, I get .006v, at the base of either transistor I get .475v.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Ken
Assuming you measure the voltage across the Re without signal, then your measurement shows underbiasing. Vbe < 0.6V so no bias current so no drop across Re. Increase the bias until you see Vre rising, until you have the desired bias current.

jd
__________________
If you don't change your beliefs, your life will be like this forever. Is that good news? - W S Maugham
Check out Linear Audio!
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
On Semi ThermalTrak davidallancole Solid State 639 1st May 2013 02:29 AM
LME49810 plus ThermalTrak single-board layout panson_hk Chip Amps 1 28th September 2009 10:57 AM
LME49810 W/ Thermaltrak CFP Output BarryJF02 Chip Amps 6 13th September 2009 12:23 AM
OnSemi ThermalTrak Arius Solid State 8 26th August 2005 04:09 PM
In search for a compact sized motorized pot yairf Parts 1 19th October 2004 02:56 PM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 12:29 AM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2