High Power Chip Amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Depends on the enthusiast whether it does, but at least it has the potential to teach a beginner,
- what AC coupling and DC coupling are, and why one is preferable over the other.
- how to build a power supply.
- how to avoid ground loops.
- how to choose RF filters.
- how to choose the DC blocking caps or the DC servo plus DC protection.
- which protection systems are necessary.
- why heatsinks are needed and how big they must be.
- whether the "peanut power a single chip affords" is sufficient for his demands or not.
- if swapping components like capacitors for others improves the sound and how.
- how to mechanically lay out an amplifier so that different signals don't couple into each other.
- how little you gain with a better or more powerful amplifier, when you compare it to the gain you get from better speakers.
- etc.
learning depends on the learner and the contribution they are prepared to make.
If one refuses to do their homework then little learning will be done.

I'll paraphrase something I said a couple of years ago.
For the uninterested non learner:- copy an existing proven circuit.
For the real DIYer who is not prepared to do the arithmetic:- modify an existing proven circuit and hope that it works.
For the learner:- do the sums and predict (model) the behaviour of any working circuit, change what seems to need changing to suit the user. expect success.

There is an enormous range of learning experiences starting with something that is, on the face of it, simple.
Dip that toe and start learning.

Sangran,

I happen to also run Dynaudios here as well (Audience 9s) and I agree they need plenty of current available to get the most out of them!!

Good for up to 600w per chip. It's SMD but don't let that scare you.
I will check it out and don't worry I;ve been soldering SMD since 1978!! I used to repair cameras at Canon USA and they were all SMD back then.... they still are of course.

For the real DIYer who is not prepared to do the arithmetic:- modify an existing proven circuit and hope that it works.

And thus you have described me. Although I have several decades experience as a bench and field tech and I understand how circuits work I have not the time nor the inclination to do the math. My enjoyment comes from the construction and then the modifications to get to Rome (ok, in my case the Tetons) and to try to get the most out of the circuit.

Last edited:
I have not the time nor the inclination to do the math.
and hope that it works.
some arithmetic can be completed in as little as ten seconds, at other times a whole minute.
Time, or lack of it, can never be used as an excuse.
How long does it take to unsolder a pair of components (for two channels) and replace with another guessed value and hope one hears a change?

Time, or lack of it, can never be used as an excuse.

Of course there is some quick simple math envolved in all this... thats sort of a Duh-ah kind of thing for those into any aspect of electronics. What I am referring to is designing circuits from the ground up. Lots of math and then modeling it on capable software and if you don't have capable software even more time re-calculating and looking for your mistakes. I have way too many things in the fire already to have that amount of time. My enjoyment has always been to construct gear which seems to offer worthy performance and modify if and where possible (yes, using math at times) And I generally have three or four projects going on at one time. The spare time I have is directed more at listening to music both live (Utah Symphony and other local things) and reproduced which is really what all this is about in the first place.

Mark, I saw you had said Dynaudio, and that's why I chipped (pun intended) in. About 100 watts would be enough for the 9s.

Exactly! I've had so many different 100 watt and under amplifiers on these speakers you would never believe it. I could write a book or others on these threads that have come over to listen to many of them could tell you. It's time to build something quite a bit different than past projects and with with a bit more power as well...

Mark

Last edited:
more power or more current?

I have several up projects I am working on but does it really matter to you which type I build? To me the important aspect is the end result... the sound!!! The best sounding amp I've had on the 9's so far is without a doubt the BAT VK-60, neither powerful or high current yet capable of incredible dynamics. I would hardly consider any of the chip amps to be a high current amp, on the other hand I can scale one any way I like up to 150 watts per board or bridge em for even more.... At the other end of the spectrum the prototype KSA-100 I built several years back IS very definitely a high current capable amp and fairly good sounding, I still like the Aleph 30 I just completed with Peter Daniels boards better though... If I could justify another VK-60 there would be one sitting here although I'd still be building different pieces of gear for the enjoyment of doing so and for friends that haven't the ability...

Mark

P.S. On the VK-60 the other interesting thing is that I wouldn't even consider it a high voltage amp... There was no 450 to 550 volts or more you find on the plates in many exotic toobe amps, there was only something like 200 volts on the plates of the 6C33s. BAT sure got alot out of those 200 volts!!

Last edited:
I have all my other necessary parts except the chassis. I just received the Lundahl input transformers on Friday to complete the parts line up. As for the chassis I will probably look into one of the Par Metal chasiss. I think I can get one narrow enough yet deep and tall enough that I can mount heat sinks on both sides. The Asian folks certainly have some nice chassis available but the shipping alone is beyond rediclous!
4021789367_e5dbcf3942_o.jpg

I've just about finished assembling my boards. I did not find the SMT aspect of this at all difficult. Just remember NOT to sneeze or the parts might be found some day orbiting the earth!

I am however in a real dilemma! I've also been listening to this Class D T.I. based board I bought from Class D Audio and to be honest it's the finest amp I've ever listened to... not sure I need to finish building this chip amp...? Its very definitely far better than the following amps I have here...
Pass Aleph 2's, Aleph 30, Aleph Mini and both the KSA50 and KSA100 Krell Clones. So the real quagmire is what do I do with all these analog amps and do I even bother to finish this chip amp project??? Perhaps I should do something a bit more exotic like a T.I. based class D amp with vaccum tube front end....:)

Yes, it IS really that good!

Mark

I've just about finished assembling my boards. I did not find the SMT aspect of this at all difficult. Just remember NOT to sneeze or the parts might be found some day orbiting the earth!

I am however in a real dilemma! I've also been listening to this Class D T.I. based board I bought from Class D Audio and to be honest it's the finest amp I've ever listened to... not sure I need to finish building this chip amp...? Its very definitely far better than the following amps I have here...
Pass Aleph 2's, Aleph 30, Aleph Mini and both the KSA50 and KSA100 Krell Clones. So the real quagmire is what do I do with all these analog amps and do I even bother to finish this chip amp project??? Perhaps I should do something a bit more exotic like a T.I. based class D amp with vaccum tube front end....:)

Yes, it IS really that good!

Mark

Hello Mark ,

Could you please give us a little more back ground , as your claim is very interesting .

1. What kind of speakers are you using to evaluate these amplifiers ?.
2. Where did you obtain your class d amp ,? is it a kit ?
3. Is it really better than these listed Pass Aleph 2's, Aleph 30, Aleph Mini and both the KSA50 and KSA100 Krell Clones.

How So ?

regards,

Yes, it is way weay better then the amps I listed there all of which I built over the years. The amazing thing about the Class D T.I. based amp is how darn clean the audio is and how much more detail gets through that you didn't even know was on the recording. How many analog amps do you know whose output stage is capable of switching at 500khz? Probably none! There IS no warm up period either. Just flip the switch and listen. You would have to hear it to beleive it. I just don't see myself continuing on constructing any analog amps any longer... Keep in mind though that if you have bad sounding source material it is going to be just that much more bad sounding!! Good source material is mandatory!!

As far as an all digital T.I. amp I don't think you can because I believe the chips have an analog input to them. Next up I want to use the amp in true balanced mode. Right now I'm just single ended using a Grounded Grid Preamp to drive it and listening on Dynaudio speakers.

Oh, by the way www.classdaudio.com

Mark

Last edited:
As far as an all digital T.I. amp I don't think you can because I believe the chips have an analog input to them. Next up I want to use the amp in true balanced mode. Right now I'm just single ended using a Grounded Grid Preamp to drive it and listening on Dynaudio speakers.
The hybrids have analog input. There are pure digitals that accept I2S. Some of them have the DSP and power stage in separate chips since high speed logic and power electronics need different process optimization during manufacture.

Nope, none! I've only bought the one module from them. I have just been astounded by the headway that Class D has made over the last few years. What analog amp do you have there?

Mark

Modified Adcom 565 monobloc, Krell KSA 100s, Perreaux 2150B, OCM, Crown DC300A and recently Parasound Halo which was not mine but i was attempting to review for purchase .. Good sounding but could not play the load presented ...

I was looking at doing an Aleph F5 , or an A75 when i ran into this
class -d talk. I 'm now tempted to try one , must admit , i think it will be a disappointment based on my knowledge( or lack thereof) and Bias towards class-d amplification..

My current reference speakers are very revealing and difficult to power along so we will see what happens with the little "D " dat could .... :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.