TDA2050 safty & features - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th September 2009, 05:07 PM   #1
pra3718 is offline pra3718  India
diyAudio Member

Default TDA2050 safty & features

I build total 5 Chips & 2 damaged.

1) Dc short-circuit-safe to ground and Vp (As per datasheet YES, experienced NO )
2) Reverse polarity safe (+-)
3) Flexibility in use.
4) Fuses applicable for 18-0-18 5 amp transformer with 8 & 4 Ohm load.
5) Minimum components. ( i.e. Which is optional )
6) Available schematics with Zobel & without Zobel.
7) I build 2 chips 1st having RF-filter, Gain=23 (ESP) 2nd NO-RF-Filter, Gain=33 (datasheet)
1st sounds clear but not louder.
2nd is more louder and found singer is not singing is like little shouting. Sound is not much clear.

THE MAJOR PROBLEM : After short-circuit, chip becomes damage & transformer starts to HOT & Meltdown. I use these chips in MDF encloser back side of the SUB. FEAR is, FIRE can burn MDF's. HOW I AM SAFE WITH FUSES & CHIP ?
Old 18th September 2009, 03:30 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

A transformer needs fuses on the secondary side corresponding to its nominal current. E. g. your 18-0-18 V 5 A transformer should have two 5 A slow-blow fuses, one in each 18 V output. Those fuses should be near to the transformer, so that increased ambient temperature affects the fuses in the same way as the transformer and makes them blow earlier, when its hot.

Short-circuit protection has its limits. Any protection circuit has a reaction time. If the short is fast and/or low-ohmic enough, it may do damage, before the protection circuit can react.

Some transformers come with built-in temperature fuses, which switch them off, when they become too hot. But that is also a slow reacting protection.

You can impregnate MDF to make it flameproof or cover it with something flame-resistant, like plasterboard, ceramic tiles, etc.
Old 18th September 2009, 03:59 PM   #3
pra3718 is offline pra3718  India
diyAudio Member

Thank you, pacificblue.

Hide this!Advertise here!