transformer meltdown

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have 18-0-18 transformer and power to my LM3886 P2P amp. Prior to Lm3886 P2P I was using this for tda2050 mono. This transformer I was using from last one month and everything was fine. This time I decided to build TDA2050 multichannel amp. (Picture attached) First, I build single channel & test again everything was fine clear tone, no hum, no distortion etc., then I build another three channel & tested I found lot-off distortion & found IC becomes very hot. And I use white-grease then I found distortion becomes low but not clear tone. AND SUDDEN MY TRANSFORMER STARTS SMOKE. I SWITCH-OFF POWER SUPPLY AND FOUND IT WAS VERY VERY HOT & MELTING.

What is my mistake. Please help me. Attached pictures are not very clear SORRY.

Attachments

• tda2050T.GIF
    tda2050T.GIF
    90.7 KB · Views: 343
  • tda2050P.GIF
    tda2050P.GIF
    105.4 KB · Views: 324
My guesses are one of the three channels had a bad chip/was miswired or in the process of adding the three channels you somehow shorted the rails. Clearer pictures would help diagnosis.

Your transformer is dead - most likely an effect rather than a cause of your problem rather than the cause. Replace it.

Test each channel individually when you get another transformer. You might want to use a 100R 1/4W resistor in each rail to act as a current limiter (and really slow blow fuse) when you first bring the channel up. Once you are sure that the channel is basically OK, remove the resistor for further testing

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.