Newbie advice

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

So here's my situation. I'm taking the plunge. I'm looking for a SIMPLE build that is a very good amplifier (gainclone, chimamp, whatever you call it).

I have an option as well. I am building the speakers and they are great candidates for being active. Is there any reason not throw these amps in a bass reflex cabinets (assuming I properly compensate for heat)?

Anyway, I am looking for advice on what to build. Obviously I am looking for as simple a build as possible. But like anyone else, I want the best too. It's a small room and the speakers will never be played loud. Nor am I going to have bass thumping and anger my neighbors.

So I am looking for suggestions. What design to use, parts, etc.?

Like most people, I prefer tube amps. I am not foolish enough to think I can get tube performance for a fraction of the price. But if I could get the liquidity, the 3D soundstage... that would be nice.

Anyway, I would appreciate anyone's help. Thanks

Disabled Account
Joined 2006
Attaching your amps to the back-plates of the speakers would be fine, and you could start with a single amp on each speaker feeding into a conventional cross-over. Later you might decide to split the cross over and use one amp per drive unit.

If you arange your amps (on your speakers) to have balanced (i.e. differential) inputs then you could build a balanced tube preamplifier to drive the lines to the amps. Best of both worlds?

Disabled Account
Joined 2006
I know the LM3886 is not exactly new, but I've heard examples sound good. Using these amp chips leads to a relatively simple build, so you may wish to consider this option. A Google search for LM3886 will bring stacks of info (, as would using the search facilities of this forum).

: )

Cool thanks everybody!
I know the LM3886 is not exactly new, but I've heard examples sound good. Using these amp chips leads to a relatively simple build, so you may wish to consider this option. A Google search for LM3886 will bring stacks of info (, as would using the search facilities of this forum).

More than likely the speaker will employ a full range single driver. Makes things very convenient for me. I would go the internal monoblock route. Not sure what I would do about volume control though, my source has no volume control on it. So perhaps I would be forced to use a preamp, even though I only have one source.

I had done some searching regarding gainclones and such. But there was just so much out there... I didn't know where to start. Do I buy a kit? Where can I find parts? Where can I find designs? Which chip is best considering my tastes? Etc.. So that's why I came here to ask others to put me on the right path.

Is the 3886 my best option? And is there a benefit to the insulated or noninsulated version?

First of all, read the datasheet. A good start for a design are the schematics in the LM4780's datasheet figure 5 and 7.

The non-isolated version has advantages, when it comes to heatsinking, but requires electrical isolation from all touchable metal parts and the ground by means of a mica washer or something similar. The isolated version does not need an additional isolation, but a much bigger heatsink instead.

Depending on the quality of your source's output stage a passive pre-amplifier could do, i. e. a potentiometer in a box with RCA connectors and optional source selector. A simple, active preamp could look like this or this.

Lm3875!

Cool thanks everybody!

More than likely the speaker will employ a full range single driver. Makes things very convenient for me. I would go the internal monoblock route. Not sure what I would do about volume control though, my source has no volume control on it. So perhaps I would be forced to use a preamp, even though I only have one source.

I had done some searching regarding gainclones and such. But there was just so much out there... I didn't know where to start. Do I buy a kit? Where can I find parts? Where can I find designs? Which chip is best considering my tastes? Etc.. So that's why I came here to ask others to put me on the right path.

Is the 3886 my best option? And is there a benefit to the insulated or noninsulated version?

Well, I would build an LM3875 no doubt! They sound nice and are easy to build. just check Audiosector (Peter Daniel) I build one and I am happy as a clam! you can build it Integrated amp (potentiometer).I build one LM3886 before But I like the LM3875 better!;)

Active speaker design is out the window. The speakers cabinets are not what I had thought. I guess that expands my options though.

Judging by that LM3875 kit, it seems the price is in line with all those T amp kits (Charlize 2, Autocostruire, 41Hz, etc.). I was attracted to the gainclone idea because I heard that gainclones had a very emotional sound. And the T amp tend to be cold and ultra precise. So that's my reasoning for dipping my toe in the gainclone water, not to mention it seems like a doable build for a complete novice. I have decided not to use a preamp. I will include volume control in the build.

Any other kit suggestions? Thanks

Last edited:
Active speaker design is out the window. The speakers cabinets are not what I had thought. I guess that expands my options though.

Judging by that LM3875 kit, it seems the price is in line with all those T amp kits (Charlize 2, Autocostruire, 41Hz, etc.). I was attracted to the gainclone idea because I heard that gainclones had a very emotional sound. And the T amp tend to be cold and ultra precise. So that's my reasoning for dipping my toe in the gainclone water, not to mention it seems like a doable build for a complete novice. I have decided not to use a preamp. I will include volume control in the build.

Any other kit suggestions? Thanks

I tell you,if you build one of these boys...you will not regretted it. I compared mine side by side with good commercial ones like. Portal Panache, Adcom 510 integrated amp, Arcam, Marantz 2238B,and the respetable Bryston B60.
I know many people here will say hey there is no way a Gainclone can compete with a commercial amp or the usual How an IC that costs $7 will get you sound quality! Well the best instrument to check sound quality that people have is their ears.you can have the most expensive amp , but if it does not sound good to your ears...it is useless!!also the speakers are a big thing too.make sure you get the right impedance for your amp.Right now My LM3875 integrated amp is in my living room playing beautifully.Some of the above will play louder but the sound is not as good as the Gainclone.Get attention to the power supply. some people like a hefty power supply (a lot capacitance).in my case I use 10000uf per rail.I try with many values like.4.7uf, 10uf, 1000uf, 3000uf, 10000uf, 20000uf.and at the end I decided to leave it with 10000uf per rail.it is all in taste buddy!. Good luck and Be careful with your project!
;)

get your first amp running and working to your satisfaction.
Listen to it driving a single speaker.
Decide if it meets your aspirations.
Only after all that, decide on whether a pair of these + crossover + EQ + PSU can be packaged inside or on the back of the speaker cabinet.

Hi. I'm a newbie myself and am in the process of building my first speaker power amps (see here). I thought this chipamp was going to be a simple build and the kit on it's own is easy. However, for good reasons, the project has turned into something more complex than I could have imagined. It's still do-able....just more expensive with design considerations I hadn't really contemplated. I suggest you take a look at my thread and see what you think.

get your first amp running and working to your satisfaction.
Listen to it driving a single speaker.
Decide if it meets your aspirations.
Only after all that, decide on whether a pair of these + crossover + EQ + PSU can be packaged inside or on the back of the speaker cabinet.

Thanks

I cannot do the active speaker idea any longer. And the cabinet employs a full range driver, so no need for a XO.

Hi. I'm a newbie myself and am in the process of building my first speaker power amps (see here). I thought this chipamp was going to be a simple build and the kit on it's own is easy. However, for good reasons, the project has turned into something more complex than I could have imagined. It's still do-able....just more expensive with design considerations I hadn't really contemplated. I suggest you take a look at my thread and see what you think.

What is your running total?

I was under the impression the kits (www.chipamp.com and www.audiosector.com) came with necessary hardware except for chassis, RCA connects, binding posts, transformer, IEC connector, and potentiometer. Did you simply buy the PCBs?

Looking at your threads... am I to assume there's lack of quality instructions for novice builders?

Hi lanchile,

It is more legible if you post in black type. The coloured type will allow you to highlight a certain item or two but makes it difficult to read when your whole post like that.

Thank you,
Cal

Sorry about that! I did not know it was difficult to read it in colors.from now on I will post as the usual way....

it is too bad that we have a nice choice in colors and we can not use it as we want.
well at least we can use the icon and smiles right?

What is your running total?
Don't know. Try not to think about too much.

I was under the impression the kits (www.chipamp.com and www.audiosector.com) came with necessary hardware except for chassis, RCA connects, binding posts, transformer, IEC connector, and potentiometer. Did you simply buy the PCBs?
No the kits.

Looking at your threads... am I to assume there's lack of quality instructions for novice builders?
Errr. What draws you to conclude that? My shocking level of ignorance?

Let me chime in with some advice. When I started my LM3886 I only bought the PCBs. I thought I would save me shipping costs and customs duties by buying parts locally. Well, sourcing parts can be a hassle as there's no single local supplier that has everything you want/need. Buying a kit makes sense! You end up with all the needed parts of very decent quality that will enable you to build a great sounding amp.

Both BrianGT (chipamp.com) and Peter Daniel (audiosector.com) sell top notch quality PCBs. Both are reputable sellers. I can highly recommend both Brian and Peter.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.