LED for dual mono Gainclone

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guys, quick question.

I have fitted a single LED to one of the rectifier boards (wire linked to the front panel) on a dual mono GC (Audiosector LM3875). Does it make a difference if I only fit one, or will it benefit from having one on each rectifier?

Many thanks,

Chris.

Both channels are matched in every other respect, but the engineer in me says one LED shouldn't make a difference. After all, it only draws a few milliamp's.

Just another quick question. The LED stays on for around 20 seconds after the amp is powered down. Is there any way I can prevent this (some sort of discharge circuit maybe)?

Chris.

ya use a bleeder resistor in the power supply. like a few Kohms right across the rails, close to the diode bridges. this will just eat power, but it is also for safety. It will also allow the amp to turn off when you turn the amp off, rather than the music continuing for a long time

Power the LED from the AC of the transformer secondary, via its own bridge rectifier and limiting resistor, with no smoothing capacitor. It will extinguish immediately the power goes off then.

You CAN drive an LED without full-wave bridge rectification (single anti-parallell diode across the LED) but they tend to have an irritating flicker that way.

Thanks, I hadn't thought of doing that. Is it just a case of adding another bridge in parallel to the rectifier on one of the secondary windings?

I am running in dual mono, with 2 18-0-18, 120VA transformers. If I wanted to keep the channels equal, I would have to do the same with the other channel, athough the transformers will have enough headroom to cope with the (small) extra load.

The LED does flicker now and again anyway, which is distracting. I suppose I could just add a small frame transformer from an old transistor radio to power the LED. I have a bridge in my spares box which I could uses.

I may have just answered my own question, with a little help.

Thanks,

Chris

Hi,
put a series string of resistor+Zener+LED across the PSU rails.
The Zener ~ 60% of supply rail voltage.
Adjust R to suit the desired LED brightness (about 1k6 to 2k4).

The Zener dims the LED as the voltage drops towards 70% of normal voltage.

If you do add a discharge resistor, use a relay to bring it on line as your switch off.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.