chip amp for infinity intermezzo 2.6

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
i just won a pair of infinity intermezzo 2.6 (powered bookshelves), and was wanting to build a chip amp to drive them. they woofer is powered, but the tweeter needs an amp. so basically, i would be JUST powering the tweeter.

i was wanting to use the LM3875, as i have a few of them sitting around. as far as the power supply section goes, should i use higher powered supply, to give better clarity, because ive heard (and experienced), with lower voltage supplies, the bass is heavier, but you loose detail. so im wondering if i should use a transformer with maybe 24v secondaries?

any advice? (oh, btw, these speakers DO benefit from good clean power. underpowered, they will sound a bit harsh, so i cant sacrifice TOO much power from the chip).

yes .. boston acoustic is the other company that comes into mind :)
just thought of it ..

btw sorry for jacking your thread .. :)

anyway .. peter recommends 22V for the secondaries
i think that 22 should be quite sufficient, as 24 is closing in on the limit for the chips themselves afaik .. although you could probalby use 25-26 before the limit

22V gives you an approximate 38 watts into 8ohms ..
there was a graph somewhere .. that peter posted ..
its from the lm3875 data sheet, so you can check in there (if i can remember correctly, its at the end of the data sheet)

sorry, my bad

it is before rectification ..
after rectification it provides you with about 31V i think

with 24V secondaries you should get about 34-35V, so you would be getting about 57watts or so ..

maximum voltage (listed in the datasheet) is 84V, so 42V rails ..
with 34 you're pretty safe i'd think :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.