Newb Questions, looking for good learning material

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am interested in building some gainclone amps and some projects from ESP, but my electronics background is pretty weak. I've got a strong math and computer background but the only electronics I have had was from a couple years of Physics in highschool.

I was wondering if someone can point me to the best material for learning electronics as it is applied to power supplies and different types of analog amplifier circuits. Online material or books that have been out long enough to show up at used bookstores would be ideal.

My immediate questions are about power supplies. I would like to build a six channel gainclone in combination with an active crossover (from ESP) to tri-amp some speakers I have at home. Can I run those off the same transformer/diode/capacitor power supply arrangement, or do I have to have a bunch of transformers?

Any information is greatly appreciated!

-Jacob

Hi Jacob. There are a few good sites for introducing you to basic electronics theory. I list a few on my web site in the 'Getting Started' section. (Use the WWW button below).

If you are new to DIY hi-fi, my site was designed with you in mind!

As regards your six channel chip amp/active crossover project, I would build it in two halves, one for each speaker with the amps/crossovers very near to each speaker. Some people build them into the speaker cases but I am not keen on that idea.

As regards how many transformer/power supplies that you need, it's really down to how good you want the project to sound. You could get away with one supply per three amps but there are advantages to be had with separate supplies for each amp. It's the usual cost v performance issue.

The size of the transformer will also make a difference. If using one for three amps, I would use a 400VA type. If using one for each amp, 80VA for treble and mid-range would do with a 200+ for the bass amp.

THe art is a bit of a hump..

for a first book unless you have the basic physics and math knowledge first. Given that JM mentions that his physics is more than a couple of years ago, I would suggest first find a "workbook" style book that would reintroduce you to Mr. Ohm and his freinds. Then get the Art. Its a great book, but expensive, so buy it used. :nod:

Re: Invaluable

dhaen said:
For a more general appreciation of the science...

"The Art of Electronics"
by
Horowitz & Hill

I strongly second that recommendation. It's a very complete and accessible introduction to electronics. It's still one the first books I reach for when I have an electronics question.

It's not cheap (no textbooks are), but it's worth every penny in my opinion.

Sheldon

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.