Pics of Nice and Tidy Gainclones

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
I have seen peter daniel's implementations, and before I start my next gainclone, I would like to see what others have done as far as making their amps super neat and tidy on the inside. I will only be using the input resistor, the feedback resistor and the PS caps, so I have less mess to worry about.

Thanks!!

Paul Hilgeman

no pics yet...

No digital camera.:bawling:
Anyway, I'm still waiting for my transformer to arrive.
Until then, I won't start thinking about the box, because I don't even know the exact dimentions of the transformer...
Anyway, the two cannels are playing for 3 days now, on my bench, with a stabilized +/- 12V PSU (that's what I have for now), connected to some car audio speakers.
I can't comment yet about sound quality, but it promises, even with those speakers.
Let them "burn-in", and just wait for the transformer.:bawling:
I did the two channels in two small pieces of perfurated board.
I don't like point-to-point, but that's me.

I have made a few changes since this pic but it is essentially the same. I am now using four discrete bridge rectifiers and added damping to the transformers. The chips and basic components are built on to protoboard using just the component leads. I really like this P2P layout and have used it several more times since.

Attachments

• gcinside.jpg
    gcinside.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 1,629
Retired diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2002
Here are my latest gainclones. I haven't yet finished the chassis wiring, as I am going to put the DipChip APOX IR1 inside it with with a volume control board.

I will get the wiring routed nicely once I get everything to go in the chassis finished.

I get no hum, and it sounds decent, but needs time to break in.

--
Brian

Attachments

• dfs.jpg
    dfs.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 1,152
BrianGT said:
it sounds decent, but needs time to break in.

If you loose all those cables, it may sound better;) I didn't notice that breaking in makes so much difference with those amps. It either sounds good from the beginning or not. Are those Panasonic FC caps? For my budget oriented projects, I'm gonna try them too, together with Nichicons KZ.

Peter: I ordered the Panasonic FC caps, don't really look like his .. (although his might be the FC caps too ..)
they're about 1cm in diameter, and rather long .. maybe 4-5cm in length ..

they do sound good though .

i'll post pics of my finished gc's here when i get the trafo/digicam .. although they won't even nearly compare w/ the stuff in here :(

Just wondering where people have gotten the volume control extenders so that u don't have to have wire going all the way to the front of the case? Did you buy them or make them yourself?

I make mine from aluminium rod and the 'inards' of a terminal block as can be seen in the picture HERE

I don't want to 'blow my own trumpet' but many questions of this type are answered on the Decibel Dungeon site. ;)

You may find This section particularly interesting.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.