TA2020 Power Supply

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I bought a TA2020 based amp on the Bay (cheap!) to try out Class T (I'm a Class T-uber normally) that requires a 14-15vdc supply at around 5 amp capacity. I have a wall wart-style PS (from a laptop) that puts out 16.9vdc with a 5+amp capacity and I wonder what you all think about using it for the 2020. If it's a reasonable idea, what's the best way to drop the voltage about 2V?

If not, I might be able to come up with a PS design using a voltage regulator, but if anyone has a recommended PS for me to look at, I'd be grateful.

Thanks.
Carlp

TA2020 Power Supply help

I also bought cheap TA2020 (Lepai ) froom ebay as a tryout with this kind of amp, and it was without power supply. I connected it to a supply from creative speakers which seamed like a good choice since it's rated to 12V and 4.2A and is quite heavy. I even didn't have to change the connector. But to no avail, the amp burnt when plugged, so I need advice on what went wrong. I had one speaker connected, and have no confirmation that the power supply is in working order (bought it on the market). I would like to try with another amp, but want to avoid this happening again. The amp produced crackling and distorted sound on 12V/1.25A power supply before.

I connected it to a supply from creative speakers which seamed like a good choice since it's rated to 12V and 4.2A and is quite heavy.

If it's heavy, it's most likely an unregulated standard transformer. These have a much higher voltage unloaded than they have with their rated loading.

It's not "12V and 4.2A", it's "12V @ 4.2A". This means that with current draw of 4.2A the voltage will be ~12V. Unloaded the voltage is probably >16V.

I also bought cheap TA2020 (Lepai ) froom ebay as a tryout with this kind of amp, and it was without power supply. I connected it to a supply from creative speakers which seamed like a good choice since it's rated to 12V and 4.2A and is quite heavy. I even didn't have to change the connector. But to no avail, the amp burnt when plugged, so I need advice on what went wrong. I had one speaker connected, and have no confirmation that the power supply is in working order (bought it on the market). I would like to try with another amp, but want to avoid this happening again. The amp produced crackling and distorted sound on 12V/1.25A power supply before.

Did you make sure the Polarity was correct and are you sure it is a DC supply ??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.