LM3875 audiosector kit - Optimum DC cable length - power & amp PCBs?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
How critical is the length of cable (DC power) between the Power and Amp PCBs of a LM3875 or LM4780 audiosector kits?

I'm building one these kits and wish to include a separate chassis each for the amp and power supply. Would 1.5 metres be ok?

Serious answer: as long as the chips are bypassed well on the amp board, which means put your big electrolytics there, and maybe bypass them with small high quality film caps, you're covered. Then the only concern is the voltage drop / current carrying capacity of the cable. With a meter or more cable, I'd probably put something larger than the 10 uF filters that come in the kit on the rectifier PCB.

My own amps have 3300 uF + 10 uF on the rectifier board and 4700 uF + .047 uF on the amp board. I like solid bass, so I go for lots of energy storage in the power supply. Peter Daniel prefers a lighter supply, I believe. That's a nice feature of chip amps. The circuit is so simple it's easy to tune to your own taste.

Serious answer: as long as the chips are bypassed well on the amp board, which means put your big electrolytics there, and maybe bypass them with small high quality film caps, you're covered. Then the only concern is the voltage drop / current carrying capacity of the cable. With a meter or more cable, I'd probably put something larger than the 10 uF filters that come in the kit on the rectifier PCB.

My own amps have 3300 uF + 10 uF on the rectifier board and 4700 uF + .047 uF on the amp board. I like solid bass, so I go for lots of energy storage in the power supply. Peter Daniel prefers a lighter supply, I believe. That's a nice feature of chip amps. The circuit is so simple it's easy to tune to your own taste.

The shorter the better!.and I am also using big caps on the power supply
10000uf on the rectifier and 1000uf on the amp board.Nice bass!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.