Soft Start and Speaker Protection

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
the upc is often recommended in this Forum.
try a search for comments.
The soft start time period of 5 to 8seconds is going to seriously heat the Power Resistors.
You can either shorten the time delay to 200ms to 300ms
or
swap the Power Resistors to a Power Thermistor

Maybe this? I have made this scheme for my amplifier. Power button without fixing.

Attachments

• soft.gif
    soft.gif
    13.9 KB · Views: 935
AndrewT said:
the upc is often recommended in this Forum.
try a search for comments.
The soft start time period of 5 to 8seconds is going to seriously heat the Power Resistors.
You can either shorten the time delay to 200ms to 300ms
or
swap the Power Resistors to a Power Thermistor

Hi Andrew

I've asked this company to provide a schematic. Why do you think they set the range between 5-8 seconds?

I'm not sure if you remember, but I purchased a couple of thermistors a while ago (see Power Supply Beginners Guide) I haven't tried these yet.

I've almost completed a pair of Bob Brines FT-1600 wide range speakers and I'd like to try and protect the new addition to the family, cant wait to fire them up! :)

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=1891230#post1891230

Thanks

Richard

Hi guys!

I could follow a schematic but my dads been waiting patiently whilst I've been building my speakers, and I'd like to source these items without having to put together a BOM. I also think my could wife needs a bit of TLC after the speaker project!

I have an eye on a PASS amp and would like to make sure the Soft Start is compatible with a wide range of amps.

Thanks

Richard

I'm also thinking of aspeaker protection for my chipamp, because the speakrs pop when I turn off the amp.
So I thought of something like this.
I only need it for the turn off pop, nothing else. I was thinking of a simple switch, but I would forget it sometimes. I would use the main trafo with a 24V relay that can hadle up to 40V and the trafo gives out 30V.
Is this schematic good?
Any suggestions for relays for a simple chip amp (2x20w)? There will be no under load switching.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.