Bridge & Parallel 4 x LM4780 - Basic wiring diagram needed - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th August 2009, 09:23 AM   #11
AndrewT is online now AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Hi,
if you plan to bridge an 8ohm speaker using chipamps then I suggest three channels in parallel rather then just two.
I am recommending that you build a BPA300 into 8ohm if you feel that you must use chipamps for your 200W into 8ohm loading.
Old 12th August 2009, 01:11 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
Default Re: Bridge/Parallel configuration

Quote:
Originally posted by GAH
Thanks Redshift187 and Peter! Now I understand. With such a configuration is there any sonic benefits besides the extra power when using 6 to 8 ohm speakers (Harbeth SHL5)?
I always avoid paralleling chips, they sound slightly inferior this way comparing to a single chip. I don't even want to think what 3 of them will sound like in parallel.

Besides, we are talking here about LM4780, since it is a dual chip, it is very inconvenient to use 3 halves in parallel.

A single LM4780 paralleled and then two of them bridged, will have no problem with 8 ohm loads.

There is a certain advantage to running chips in bridge: I find the dynamics improve and there is more body to the music, you can read more about it here: http://6moons.com/audioreviews/47labs5/gaincard_3.html
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 12th August 2009, 01:26 PM   #13
AndrewT is online now AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Yes Peter,
he could try running the dual chipamp in bridge mode and then parallel 3 of them to give the transient peak current ability into an 8ohm speaker.

But rather than build up 6channels of chipamp, go to a discrete output stage with discrete drivers using lme498xx series voltage amp driver stage or go fully discrete.
Old 12th August 2009, 01:37 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
Quote:
Originally posted by AndrewT
Yes Peter,
he could try running the dual chipamp in bridge mode and then parallel 3 of them to give the transient peak current ability into an 8ohm speaker.

But rather than build up 6channels of chipamp, go to a discrete output stage with discrete drivers using lme498xx series voltage amp driver stage or go fully discrete.
What I meant was to parallel each dual chip first and then run them in bridge, not paralleling brided amps which is completely impractical and unpredictable.

While going fully discrete may have certain advantages, using chip amps is quite tempting too and both approaches can produce very satisfying results.
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC

Hide this!Advertise here!