velleman 2x 30W k4003 suitable?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi. I am making an ipod dock for my GCSE Design Technology. I will be using four X 3 inch cones and 2 X 1 inch tweeters.I have seen the velleman 2x30w KIT and I am wondering if it is suitable. I am probably completely wrong and I am wondering if you have any comments on the 2X30W or any other suggestions for KIT amps that I could use. It also can't be massive because it is only for an ipod dock.

I planning to spend no more than £40 (about $70 US) but still make any comments. I am possibly also considering tubes (I guess there's nothing wrong with them sticking out of the dock:) )

Thanks vmuch for any advice.
MATT

Matt,
I built and use the Velleman kit. I like it quite a bit. It was an easy build and works well. I used this transformer
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=120-210
and I bought a Velleman K8084 volume/tone control kit. I picked up a nice wooden cigar box from a local smoke shop for the case.
Lots of fun and sounds decent.
Mike

Attachments

• chipamp.jpg
    chipamp.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 293
thanks loads for the advice. I guess I'll stick to the 2 x 30W then, and I'll prob get the transformer mikje suggested as well (cheers). But I'm looking for a bit more control than the velleman vol/tone control. Please can anyone suggest any 5-12 band equalizers? (preferred ready made but kits are fine too).

Also, what do I do about splitting up sounds for different cones? do I buy a frequency splitter or something?

Thanks for any advice.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.