Will I need a transformer for this DIY Amplifier?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-LM3886TF-2X...57abf660&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65:12|66%3A2|39%3A1|72%3A1234|293%3A1|294%3A50

This ad seems very deceiving to me. They say DIY, but the item shown in the photos is pre-made. They also don't say whether or not you need a transformer.

It might be a DIY kit that has been assembled already. I don't know.

What do you guys think? Will I need a transformer for the PSU of this?

The kit is for a stereo amp (2 power amp boards) and a power supply board.

You will need to supply a transformer. A twin secondary 18vac would do. You will need to know how to wire the transformer to the mains and the power supply board and house the amplifier in a case so that no-one gets electrocuted. Do you have the skills?

Hi,
the PCBs look the same as some I bought from another seller.
I had my doubts about whether all the components were genuine or fakes.

The assembled PCBs play fairly well into 8ohm speakers using either 15+15Vac or 25+25Vac transformers.
I cannot vouch for the pre-assembled versions.

Be careful with dissipation of the TF chips. They need bigger heat sinks and are expensive to cool on 4ohm loads.

You need
chassis
heatsink/s
hardware
transformer

The budget for these four items is likely to be two to ten times the $40 of the PSU and 2amps.

Hi. 28v secondaries will be too high. Your chips will likely fry eventually. 28v will be 28 * 1.41 = 39.48v. +-40v is too much, with mains fluctuation your chips will explode. Those kits are fine. www.customaluminumboxes.com will create a custom encosure for you at an amazing price. just give them dimensions and general details. You should get an 18-0-18 VAC or 18-0 18-0 VAC transformer, rated at at least 200va to supply both of those chips. At (18*1.41=25.38VDC) your chips won't get very hot, affording you a heatsink that won't take up your whole chassis.

odysseybmx414 said:
Hi. 28v secondaries will be too high. Your chips will likely fry eventually. 28v will be 28 * 1.41 = 39.48v. +-40v is too much, with mains fluctuation your chips will explode. Those kits are fine. www.customaluminumboxes.com will create a custom encosure for you at an amazing price. just give them dimensions and general details. You should get an 18-0-18 VAC or 18-0 18-0 VAC transformer, rated at at least 200va to supply both of those chips. At (18*1.41=25.38VDC) your chips won't get very hot, affording you a heatsink that won't take up your whole chassis.

I use twin 30vac trannys with my LM3875 monblocks. No problem.

the rated input voltage to rated output voltage ratio is critical if you want to run at close to the National maximum voltage specification.

I reckon a 240:28Vac 300VA transformer (6% regulation) feeding a pair of 3886 chipamps will be just above the +-42Vdc maximum quiescent specification. But when significant power is drawn from either or both amplifiers then the supply will drop below the +-42Vdc spec maximum.

I recommended 240:28Vac a long time ago as the maximum to supply an 8ohm loaded pair of chipamps and got shouted down as far too big a supply voltage.

Measure what you have and monitor temperatures, but if you choose to run above National's specification maxima then the risks and consequences are wholly of your own making.

The trouble with the 2x30 V transformer is that it is recommended in National's AN-1192, but people tend to overlook the fact that it is only recommended in combination with 8 Ohm speakers and with profound heatsinking. As long as an amplifier is not permanently connected to a dedicated driver in an active speaker or similar set-up, you can not be sure that it will never be connected to a 4 Ohm load. Just as little as you can be sure that nobody will ever turn the volume up, while your amplifier is connected to a 4 Ohm load, when it should not be.

It's not so hard, you have basically 3 things to check :

- Primary winding, is it for 120 or 240 V
- Secondary winding, in your case 18 - 0 - 18
- VA rating, which is *grossly* the power the transformer can handle

The 2nd one from Newark looks very nice, the first one can only deliver 4 VA... its going to fry.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.