My gainclone building experience (updated as I go along)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well, yesterday I finished one channel of my gainclone.
I managed to find a couple small cases for the amps themselves, which fit perfectly!!!

I also got a couple smaller cpu heatsinks on which i mounted the chips.

I encountered the first problem when cutting the pins off of the chips .. I cut off pin #4
but i left enough so i was able to solder a small piece of wire to it!!! *whew*

The PS section is complete as well, except for the toroid, which isn't shipped until may 23rd. The bridge is all in place and mounted, as well everything is hooked up.

So tomorrow I'm going to do the other channel, and hopefully have just as much luck as I did with this one.

Btw, is there any way I can test anything with the amp w/o a transformer? (Somehow I don't think so ....)
Anyway, I'll keep you guys up to date, and I will take pictures when I get a digicam from a friend.

Do You Have A Plug In Transformer???

You could possibly test your wirong using a plug in type wall transformer. Assuming you have one lying around with suitable ratings (fortunately I did 20V 2A). Elliot Sound Products has an example of how to do this. At the very least you will know if your soldering is correct. You can't get too much juice this way, but at the very least you can see if you get sound and check for ground loops, etc.

transformers

Finished the second channel of the gainclone. All that's left to do is put the transformer in! :)

Well .. I just took apart a couple PA amps, and am now in possesion of 3 transformers :)

All are single secondaries, and they are 15V (or 13 .. don't remember), 26V and 37V .. all approximate, measured on my multimeter w/o a load attached

Now, my question is, just for testing purposes, can I make use of any of these (or a combination thereof) in order to power up my GC's.
I would be very thankful for any suggestions or schematics if possible, otherwise I'll probably borrow from spind.
Although I wouldn't want to borrow for risk of blowing the toroid (with my luck .. only with my luck!) :)

Thanks

elizard...thats a big question.....having a transformer...(we all have lots).....the lower voltage ones could be useful for a preamp and the higher voltage could make be good for an amplifier...but your along away from anything and there are tons of designs out there...if you want a particular application we can point you in the right direction.....everyone here is great that way!!

Cheers!!The DIRT®

i suppose my question sucked eh ..

ok, here's the deal
i have built the gainclones .. and am waiting for the toroid to arrive in mail (shipped may 23rd .. blah) ..
so what i was wondering is if i could use one of the transformers (or 2 ..) just to power up the gainclones for testing purposes?

since they're single secondary, i don't know how to hook them up .. well i do, but i don't know how to deal w/ the fact they have different voltages ....

thanks

elizard,
You would need two single secondary transformers of the same rating to supply the positive and negative for the op amp. Remember, the unused output of each bridge is tied to ground. Now, some of the Burr-Brown opamps (like opa541) can operate on a single supply with the neg pin tied to ground or in an unbalanced configuration (ie -15 and +12) as long as it doesn't excede the maximum absolute voltage rating but, as I understand it, they don't sound very good in that configuration. ;)

well allright, that was the answer i was looking for :)

now .. while waiting .. i MIGHT look into buying a regulate PS from ebay ..
the only problem is i know NOTHING about them and their quality

there doesn't seem to be any of the cheap HP ones in canada (as someone mentioned they got one for like $30 plus s&h) ..
ordering a 50-100lb item from the states would cost me an arm, a leg, and my entire paycheck :)

Like many things on ebay... It's a crap shoot sometimes. Jackinnj seems to be the expert on used test equipment from ebay. If you shoot him an email he might give you some good brands to look for. Just make sure you get a "not DOA" gaurantee on the unit to CYA. ;)

elizard said:
hmmz .. still no answer
am i to believe it can't be done? should i give up and just humbly wait for my toroid?

Hi,

You can try half wave rectifier. With transformer with only one secondary you can get symmetrical power supply. Ripple is bigger, caps must be doubled, but work just fine for experimental purpose.

Regards

Attachments

• half wave.jpg
    half wave.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 758
YES!!!!
she works she works she works :)

i just tried moamps suggestion for the temporary PS .. after a little tinkering it put out 19.5V .. good enough for now :)

hooked up the GC (one at a time) .. turn on (hold my breath) .. no smoke .. one works
plugged in a crap speaker, works
same for the second one :)

one of them however, there's a short somewhere i'm sure .. when i move the resistor slightly it starts to hum ..
gonna fix that ..

but until then .. i'm gonna enjoy this :)

thank you Peter, moamps, philo .. and whoever i forgot

this is sweet .. WOW!!!!!!! :)
ok .. gotta get myself off of here while i still can ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.