Preamp for LM1875

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've built an LM1875 power amp, using the circuit diagram from a kit (http://www.quasarelectronics.com/3050-25w-mono-hi-fi-amplifier-module-lm1875.htm). I've not included a volume control yet.

It sounds great when I plug it into the headphone jack on a small radio, and I can get a decent amount of volume without distortion or the chip getting too hot. However, when I use it with my MP3 player, I don't seem to get enough volume out the amp even with I have the MP3 volume on full. It works fine with other amps.

Could I build some sort of preamp to boost the input audio level? Any ideas on circuits? 741 or LM386 might be suitable? (I know the LM386 is technically a power amp, but the radio is probably putting a similar level out it's headphone jack and that seems to be fine.

If you need more gain, you could increase R5. E. g. replace 180k with 1M8. That could lead to higher noise however. Considering the really low cost it should be worth a try.

Another alternative would be to decrease R4 and increase C3 by the same factor. E. g. replace 10k with 1k and 22µ with 220µ. In that case you will need enough space for the bigger capacitor.

In both cases your amplifier will be louder, so be careful, when you connect other sources without volume control. If it still is not enough or if it is too much, experiment with different values. The gain for your amplifier is (R4+R5)/R4. C3 and R4 are a filter, and C3xR4 should remain the same, before and after any modifications for a start.

Follow the link within your link and download the datasheet. Everything you need to know is explained in it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.