Pass B1 plus Charlize 2 integrated project

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I finally finished my little integrated amplifier project with Charlize 2 and thought I'd share.

It's made from a Charlize2 module from diy Paradise and a B1 dual input buffer PCB from Pass DIY and housed in a little 12" wide 3" tall 8" deep cherry box I glued together (with a clear Plexiglas top to see all the goodness inside and a perforated base for ventilation.) All wiring is silver-plated Teflon 200C wire, all caps in the signal path are either film and foil or metallized poly and the resisters are Vishay 1% film. There is 80,000uf of secondary capacitance for the amplifier stage and 14,000uf for the input buffer, the volume pot is a 100K stereo Alps blue back, RCA inputs are gold plated copper and speaker terminals are rhodium plated copper. Below are a few pictures (the dollar is for size comparison.) The 4-pin CPC connector on the back goes to the dual switching power supplies. I used two computer P/S modules, giving 12V @ 5A for Charlize and 18V @ 1.3A for the preamp. The P/S caps can be seen inside the box on the left mounted on a project PCB. The large relay on the left switches the thing on and off from the lighted push button on the front - I would have used a smaller relay but I had this one on hand. The toggle switch changes from input one to input two.

The sound is very good. I love this amp. It is clean, quiet and very powerful with plenty of low frequency output and a nice warm mid range tone. Sounds very similar to my Antique Sound Labs integrated tube amp.

Overall, I am very happy. Thank you diy Paradise and Pass Labs!

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Speaker recommendations?

This is lovely-looking unit. I have a Charlize 2 amp housed with the Monica DAC, and some power-thirsty Mission bookshelf speakers that aren't the best match. I was wondering what kind of speakers you like to use with Charlize 2. Thanks for any pointers.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.