TAS5261 - 315-W Mono Digital Amplifier Power Stage

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
That chip is basically just a half bridge output stage for a D-class, to work as a amplifier it also needs another chip called a PWM modulator.

Texas has recently released a new amazing D class chip. It is in a similar SMD package but contains two such output stages along with the pwm modulator built in. The chip only needs a few caps and resistors around it with a inductor on each output. It takes a simple 1Vpp analog signal and can be configures for 1,2,3 or 4 output chanells with a total output power of 600W !

This is the chip that convinced me to try make a D-Class amp, that i am in the process of building.

Well semiconductor companys don't make stuff for us hobyists, they make it for other companys to use in there products . SMDs are smaller and easier to work with on a automated production line but still provide a a good level of heat dissipation (The TAS5630 can dissipate twice as much heat as a TO-220)

Oh and TI also makes D-Class amps with a direct I2S input for you guys that like to keep everything digital.Alto i think they don't have heatsinks so its up to only 20W.

Oh and SMD is not a very big problem. If you can solder a PDIP you can solder a SOIC (1,27mm pin to pin) And with the help of some solder wick you can solder a 0,5mm pin to pin SMD no problem. I also like using SMD resistors and capacitors because they are smaller and easier to put on a board.The down side of SMD is that you need to etch a board for it (Needs to be good, no toner transfer) so you cant just play with it on a prefboard or something. So i see it can be a bit of a pain if you can't etch PCBs at home.

Through-hole ICs are not suitable for the fast switching required in class D. Through-hole power packages (like chip-amps) are the worst of all.

Most of these ICs and designs would not even work if realized with through-hole.

On the other hand, SMD is easier to DIY than through hole, particularly when it comes to solder and unsolder ICs with many pins. With SMD you just use hot air to heat all the pins at a time. And there are no leads to bend or cut :D

ThyDntWntMusic said:
oh yeah, needs a controller chip too :dead:

is that the same controller IC as the TK2050 uses? wait? or is that TP2050? :p

You mean the Tripath TC2000/TC2001/TCA2002.

I have many TC2001 and TAS5261. I've wanted to see if they could be used together, but if we are to believe the specs of the TAS then that is a big NO. The TAS has a max PWM input frequency of 384kHz. At idle the TC2001 operates around ~1MHz, dropping in frequency considerably with higher output.

It would be nice if they did work together as it would be a closed loop system since the TC2001 has feedback control.

Computer CPUs have been through hole for many years. Some recent ones have bus frequencies in the GHz and up to 100A power requirements. A BGA package would be very difficult to work with for the average DIYer and is for the most part, permanently mounted to the board.

Maybe someone could design a specialized adapter card on which the digital or hybrid chips are mounted along with any length sensitive components and has a pin header on one side that allows breadboarding? Just design it to accept power, control, and signal and output the amplified signal.

Since it ....

1) does not have heaps of pins
2) even uses some pins in parallel
3) looks as if it could be fed from an ordinary analog PWM modulator as well
4) both halves can be used seperately (i.e. stereo)

..... I would assume this would be a nice powerstage fo the lazy developers. The only downside might be the modulation index of < 100 %.

Regards

Charles

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.