STK series amp modules- any good? - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th December 2013, 12:29 AM   #31
diyAudio Member

I like the absolute silence when it's on and therefore the ability to play at very low levels without drowning in noise. The amp I'm now building with it will be a cool running, underpowered and very small workspace amp. Nothing fancy. I suspect it will do nicely with a pair of jbl control 1.
Old 25th December 2013, 11:18 AM   #32
Apex Jr is offline Apex Jr  United States
diyAudio Member

I have an amplifier already built and has been modified for other uses
using the STK 4141v HERE...HTP 25/25 Full Range Amp
Dual 25 Watt
FOR $19.95..
Also the STK 4038 and STK 4041 both listed on my website
Old 2nd January 2014, 11:27 AM   #33
diyAudio Member

My first tryout for a cpu cooler based stk amplifier. I think the stk modules are perfect for being cooled by cpu heatsinks as they are very similar to cpu's in both form and heat dissipation requirements. This is an intel stock cooler, the fan is just for mounting the heatsink and is not operational. It is not needed because it's a low power amp and the heatsink barely gets warm when playing at neighbour-friendly sound levels.Click the image to open in full size.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1522453_672374356116647_1202904450_o.jpg (176.0 KB, 53 views)
Old 2nd January 2014, 01:19 PM   #34
Moviola is offline Moviola  Brazil
diyAudio Member

Almost all STK were discontinued in 1995. Please see attachment. Those currently on sale are fake.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Sanyo discontinued STK moduleI.pdf (30.9 KB, 40 views)
Old 3rd January 2014, 03:09 AM   #35
diyAudio Member

According to my local, respected electronics shop the 402-070 can be ordered. I did. He also confirmed they are genuine Sanyo. They should arrive tomorrow, I'm confident it will be the real deal. Might be old stock or service parts.
Also, Sanyo semi was acquired by ON-semi and they have some stk's in their current catalog:
http://www.onsemi.com/PowerSolutions/search.do?action=addParam¶mName=paramString¶mVal=A udio%20Amplifiers%3aClass%20AB%3a2502766
Old 7th January 2014, 12:03 PM   #36
diyAudio Member

Got it! I can confirm this is a 100% genuine Sanyo stk chip, not a fake. They have lots and lots of them in stock and by the looks of it On-Semiconductor is planning to release more STK series. Maybe they can bring some order in the chaos that is the STK family? My main focus will be on the 402-xxx series as they are symmetrical, small and powerfull. I'm designing a custom pcb for it with short-as-possible routing and optimal component placement for use in a series of amplifiers I'm planning to build. New life for the unique hybrid amplifier that is the STK chip.
Old 16th January 2014, 09:57 AM   #37
diyAudio Member

Default STK Hybrid amp modules.

The STK chips (the newer ones) are used by many AV receiver manufacturers like Yamaha in their entry to mid range models. The audio quality of these chips is really good in well executed designs and should not be underestimated.
Old 24th January 2014, 03:47 PM   #38
diyAudio Member

Correct. The bad reputation these hybrids have is largely because of terrible design of these entry and midlevel consumer electronics. The kenwood unit I pulled a 402-040 out of suffered from horrible pcb design, lots of wirebridges, flatcables and too small heatsink. Also it had numerous opamps, dsp's and unnecessary filtering caps all across the board. No way that can produce good clean sound. Must have sounded dull, bland and wooly. Now that it's freed of that surrounding and built on a gainclone like pcb with ultra short signal paths and no additional filtering or long cables it is a most revealing little amp. Very accurate reproduction, no hiss or hum and excellent clarity. Everything you would expect from a well designed class AB amp. Also, by cooling it properly with a cpu cooler it barely gets warm so there's no risk of frying it when put under stress. I suspect a lot of the premature failures are due to bad cooling designs and mismatched speakers. These hybrids really don't like low impedance loads, 6 ohms is the lowest they can do without burning up but they are at their best with 8 ohm high eff speakers. I really can advocate experimentation with them, for instance: most brands like sony, kenwood, yamaha etc simply use the application note schematic. I'm sure that with some experimentation the results could be much better. My research into STK's is ongoing and so far I like what I'm seeing (and hearing) so expect more updates from me on this topic.

Hide this!Advertise here!