amp with very low ground noise

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, im going to need an amp for my desktop speakers, a pair of JBL Monitor 4200, which is an 8ohm load.

I've currently got a digitech amp thats based on a TDA7294 chip, its really noisy when no music is playing. I'm planning on ripping out all the eq bits and just use it as a power amp.

I'm considering placing a whole new amp board in there, what designs have pretty much no noise when no music is playing?

The speakers will be about half a meter from my ears.

Hi, Well I would suggest you buy the PCBoards, and then work on getting the parts together yourself. This amp is really a killer, and when done right, it is dead quiet. Trust me on this one, it's worth the build. He had two amps, and one more on the way. I've have mine for awhile now, and I love it a lot. I got the smaller version/lower wattage version. I don't want to sound to much like a commercial, but just go check it out.

Ray Bronk

kenny12 said:
....its really noisy when no music is playing....

This could be normal depending on how you're utilizing your setup.

Is the volume on the amp all the way up when this happens and are you using the PC as the volume control? Is the noise still there if you turn the volume of the amp all the way down?

If the amp has fairly high gain and you are in fact using the PC as the volume control, then the amp is just amplifying the noise floor of your PC's sound output.

Solution: Don't use the PC as the volume control.

atm i'm just using the amp since i just got it.

the soundcard is an m-audio audiophile,

headphone amp set at 10 gain with very low noise floor when using a audio technica a700 headphone

i plan on using an stepped attenuator as the pre for the amp.

edit: also the noise is def from the amp itself, i've tried with no input with similar noise.

basically i just wanted to know if it was worthwhile ripping out all the eq stuff or is the tda chip generally noisy

Joined 2002
Paid Member
The TDA7293/4 are not noisy chips at all.

Nor is the Audiophile, for that matter. I have a Delta66, essentially the same thing, but dead silent into an amp with a 26dB (x20) gain.

I wonder whether the way you have it connected is an issue. Do you have the original 2496 or the USB version? I assume if you have a headphone output it's the USB, then, well, m-Audio floats the cold end of the balanced connection off the chassis ground, it's not a 'real' balanced output.

If you hooked it up with the shield disconnected to an unbalanced input (very likely), you will have a noise fest all the time.

I went crazy trying to troubleshoot this very same issue on my Delta, till I ripped the dock open and found the 'balanced' output was not really so, and I would have to short pin 1 and 3 at the amplifier end, and lose the noise rejection benefit of a real balanced connection, or wire it up without the cold end connected at all, which is what I ended up doing and it's quiet as a kitten right now.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.